• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very Important: Need Confirmation If the Bios Corruption is Fixed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Actraiser

Registered
Hi All, I have been scouring different forums for the past few days trying to find out if the new Ver 2.0 NF7-S has been fixed from the dreaded

"Do not power off system while saving and Exiting" that the V 1.2 suffered"

I have seen a post on AMDMB that shows the Version 2.0 having a new saving technique.

The following is from somone with a v 2.0 at amdmb forums.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"When I make a CMOS changes and choose "save and exit" the board reboots, reinitializes the video card, then displays some text like "PLEASE DO NOT POWER OFF WHILE CHANGES ARE BEING SAVED" (something like that). The board then reboots again."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The V 1.2 and below does not save this way, it just saves and exits (sometimes) and reboots once with the changes made.

What I am asking here is:

1. Has anyone with Version 2.0 Abit NF7-S had *any* bios corruption issues from saving and exiting?

2. What bios is used, what bios comes stock with the NF7-S 2.0?

The reason I want to know is because I do not see a new bios on Abit's webiste, v16 is the latest (I had 2 boards die with v16 bios this way).

So if the NF7-S V-2.0 is using bios 16 (which I assume it is, because there is nothing else listed there or under beta section etc), then how can the saving technique be different for v-1.2 comapred to v-2.0 if they are using the same bios?

This leads me to belive there is a hardware issue with the V-1.2 that cannot be fixed with a simple bios update or else we would have seen that by now.

The reason is I place the subject as "Very important" is because there are numerous reports of peoples boards just quitting after saving and exiting, and no, the stick a duron in it and boot up does not work. I have burned 3 boards out so far (on my 4th ver 1.2) but have basically not touched it since i'm too scared to make any changes in the bios before I get an IOSS or spare bios handy.

Sorry to make this thread soo long, and I do not expect too many responses because not that many people have version 2.0 boards yet, but again if anyone with ver 2.0 boards has had their bios corrupted from saving and exiting please post here.

Update:

Found out the bios for rev 2.0 is actually a new bios, like does not follow the same numbering system so I'm not sure if they (rev 1.2 and rev 2.0) are bios compatable.

"http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=212274"

Everything is pointing to rev 2.0 being the final not a beta board like rev 1.2 of the NF7.

This might be a bit hasty but i'm really dissapointed in Abit this time, it took them 4 revisions (maybe more yet) to address common problems. What is still unknown is weather or not the SATA HDD corruption is fixed or not.

I think Abit is saving Rev 2.1 for that though...

Last edited:
My 2.0 does the red screen saving, no corruption yet, but you're not going to get 100% confirmation that it's fixed from anyone, especially this early in the game :(

Thanks for the responses guys, so far 6 of the 10 NF7-1.2 boards on our last shipment have died from the save and exit problem, I just hope there is a fix for this sometime soon.

What BIOS version are you running...the last few BIOS updates from Epox has seemed to help a little with the corruption issue...so Abit might of changed theres also, if not already running the current one...

This article is a few weeks old though, and I think the supposed fixed bios was 16, which seems to have given some people even more trouble. Also, some people have said that this bios does not work with the rev. 2.0 boards.

There is no Current Bios that fixes the Save and Exit / Kill bios dead problem. I do think this is fixed in rev 2.0 of the Abit board though as it has a different way of saving to the bios.

Well, then again I was searching foruns around, and I can't confirm this issue happening alot with non S NF7 boards. And the workaround, that one-step-by-time to save bios setings looks ok.

I only change one setting at a time, and it hasn't corrupted...yet.

However, recently I started to boot with ins held down , to maek it even safer.

Back