• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

granite bay now or canterwood later?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thirteen13rulez

My friend who killed his xeon with loners mod (tried many times to unmod) has been looking at the gigabyte 8inxp. we both want to know whether it would be a better deal to get the board now, or wait and get canterwood/springdale later. this will be a 2.4b (most likely) so it wont be needing or able to use 200fsb anyways, so do you think it would be better to wait, or to get the nice 8inxp now?

thanks

If you're going to be using a 2.4B C1, with 533 FSB, then get the granite bay. On the other hand, my mobo is matched up with most granite bay signatures that I've seen, in terms of FSB, unless they're water cooled.

IMO, granite bay chipsets are an enormous waste of money. I've been running 180 FSB for like 3 weeks now, with no problems whatsoever, and my temps are fine, on air. In addition, the 8INXPs are very hard to find because of all the hype. The mobo I have, 8PE667 Ultra2 Pro, is not very hard to find and is less than 2/3 the price.

As far as the canterwoods go, if you're going to be using a 2.4B in it, you'll just be wasting your time sitting there, not OCing your CPU, because you're waiting on your mobo to be manufactured! The 8PE667 supports upto 355FSB anyway, so I dont think you're going to need much more. In addition, the few benchmarks that I've seen on the canterwoods realy suck. My system now beats them by nearly 1000 points in 3DMark2001, and they were using a 9800 Pro and a 3.06 Ghz...

I'd go with the 8PE667 series

Last edited:
I would say that you should either go with Gigabyte PE667 Pro or you can also go with Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra and they both support FSB upto 355Mhz which you can't reach no matter what cooling you use. So go with the above two models.

I would say that you should either go with Gigabyte PE667 Pro or you can also go with Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra and they both support FSB upto 355Mhz which you can't reach no matter what cooling you use. So go with the above two models. Good Luck and let us know which one you go for.

he already has a killer watercooling rig set up (swifty) and its "universal" so he could be hitting quite high fsbs with the right chip

How patient is your friend. I believe that the Canterwoods will be out in May, so I say if you haven't gotten a Granite Bay yet, it would payoff to be patient. I currently have a GB board and so far am happy with it, with the exection of the 8X AGP thing.

(HR)Titan said:
Canterwood will be out on 14.april, Springdale on 21.may
thats when intel is releasing it,i highly doubt any stores will actually have the board on those dates,for me and what ive seen before it will be 2 weeks or more for me to get one of these boards,so really early may for canterwood and june for spring,iam still wondering if i should even bother with the new 800fsb cpu and canterwood,or get all my other stuff which i need like more ram,speakers and watercooling and just wait till the end of this year for the better faster cpu's and mobos

Back