• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Booting from Serial ATA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmmm, interesting, I may try it :)

Thanks

EDIT: Ok, plugge my single 80GB Maxtor DM+9 8mb cache into the adapter, pluged that into the SATA port, enabled SATA in BIOS, set it to boot from SATA.

Bingo, booted, and I get higher Sandra scores than I did with the NForce 2's own IDE controller, bonus :D

Last edited:
This is really bad news. When the problems become
wide-spread public knowledge it could slow the move
to SATA. BTW, Silicon Image is more interested in fluff
and marketing than engineering.

You can't run CDRoms off the SATA because it is limited to ATA100 & 133 drives. Either SATA or the convert that comes with the NF7-S is limited, I can't remeber which.

Read the SATA quick install paper that came with it and it will tell you which it is.

All optical drives are ATAPI drives. I have no clue what ATAPI means. Is this possibly why optical drives don't work (yet) with SATA?

P.S. Can anyone explain to me what exactly ATAPI is and/or what it stands for?

There will also be SATA optical drives soon, and SATA hard drives should finally be hitting the shelves this month. I don't know why the onboard SATA here is crap, but I intend on buying a pci card that supports everyrhing and doing my SATA that way.

LOL u must have been living under a rock or u might live in the middle of nowhere if you think that SATA drives haven't been in stores for a few months now ;)

brywalker,
I wouldn't beleive everything you hear on ANY forum,some of the people on the abit forum that own these boards are jumping to conclusions as to why they are having problems with their boards. This board is picky to say the least. I crashed 2 drives because the memory I was using was not compatible with my board and I assume I lost info to the point where it would no longer boot, that was on the IDE ports too.

BTW, ATAPI=AT attachment packet interface, I had to look it up :p

Back