• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ 215 fsb without volt mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I keep seeing threads that say that the 8rda will not do over 200 fsb without volt mods,however this is not true.It may be that my mobo is a later model that was received 03-06-03.It has a1 marking on the northbridge and the a3 on the southbridge.I was hoping to just get 200 fsb as i had ordered pc 3200 twinmoss ram and was quite underwhelmed when it posted and ran at my first attempt of 200 fsb sync.
As per alot of post i upped the v-dimm to 2.7 and the v-core to 1.650 and tested different ram timings.It soon hit it's limit of 215 without entering windows so i fugure i will run it at 205 with 7-3-3-2 timings(this ram timing scored better than any other with my twinmoss)
Later it occured to me that the reported voltages must be inaccurate as the 5 volt line shows less than 5 volts and the 450 watt psu had shown well over 5 volts on my previous kt7a-r.One of the reasons i had gotten the 450 was my 5 volt line was under 5 volts with my previous psu and voltages seemed not so stable.I was also seeing more heat from my cpu than i had previosly so it occured to me that many of the readouts might be reporting lower voltages than they were.
The only way to test my theory without a voltmeter(lates just say the one i had met it's fate in a brilliant flash of light)was to go into the bios and reset voltages to default and retest.Not only did it boot but got into widows at 215.I run raid so i don't like extreme speeds that arent 100% stable,so i backed her back down to 205 and she runs fine.My usdm reported voltages are,
VDD: 1.568
v-core 1.616
vdimm 2.608
+5 volt 4.945
+12 12.342
My 2100's limit had been previously established around 2050 and would do this at 1.68 and it wouldn't boot with less voltage according to via's hardware monitor.Very unscientific,but perhaps volt modding is no longer neccessary with newer boards which is contrary to what i have been reading.

could just be luck of draw..

there are people with rev 1.0 boards that have been hitting 220+ FSB with any mods..

It's because of the newer nforce chip stepping, you said you had A1 right?

From VR-zone.com
As AMD is launching the 400Mhz FBS Barton core with Athlon XP 3200+ in May to counter the 800Mhz P4s, VIA and SiS have already gotten their chipsets ready to support that. VIA is planning to release KT600 codenamed KT400A-CE with VT8237 Southbridge while SiS has announced the SiS748 chipset last month that is paired up with SiS963L Southbridge.

How about NVIDIA? There is no upcoming nForce2 chipset from NVIDIA to officially support 400Mhz FSB Barton since nForce2 was already designed to support 400Mhz FSB in the first place. Instead NVIDIA has been constantly revising their nForce2 chipsets with newer steppings. Right now, there are two nForce2 chipset revisions in the market with A2 and A3 steppings and apparently NVIDIA has quietly added one more revision A1 which is in fact C1 Stepping. It seems like NVIDIA is getting ready for 400Mhz FSB too and indeed the newer revision has significantly improve stability under higher FSB. The latest 8RDA+ board is using this new C1 Step nForce2 and the overclockability is simply amazing. Using a VDD of just 1.65V with CPU/RAM at DDR460 Sync, the board is able to run at 230Mhz FSB very stable!

I hate it when I buy some hardware knowing full well they will probably improve it later, yet I'm still angry later when they improve it. :D

I got it from newegg and the northbridge is marked a1 and the southbridge is a3.CPUID identifies them both as a2 so i really am not sure what the nb chip really is.

shadowdr said:
I got it from newegg and the northbridge is marked a1 and the southbridge is a3.CPUID identifies them both as a2 so i really am not sure what the nb chip really is.

The cpuid doesn't recognize correctly neither the northbribge nor the southbribge.You must see what is code on the chips to be sure.

Back