• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newby ready to Overclock my Computer a little but nervous. Suggestions wanted.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Procharger

I see the 8rda+ sticky here but I know O/Cing is dependent on the system a lot so I thought I would give you details on my system and get some recommendations on getting some recommended initial settings.

System Information and Parts List:
Bios says the CPU temp is 27C and case temp is 28C :confused:
Mobo: 8rda+
CPU: XP2100+ AIUHB 0304 (I believe but forgot to write it down :bang head
Memory: 256MB PC3200 TwinMos
Heatsink/Fan: SK6+ and a Delta 60mmX38 blowdryer
Hard Drive: 60gb Maxtor ATA133
CD Writer: Polaroid 48X??X?? who cares :D
Video Card: Sapphire 9700 nonpro
PowerSupply: Sparkle 400w
System Fans: Antec 80mm Stealth and 80mm tornado blowing in. Delta 60mmX38 blowing out.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Last edited:
Looking good..
It ought to be a "smokin'" overclocker..

I'm using 7,3,3,2.5 in the memory.. 12 multiplier and 185 in the fsb. You might want to start out lower on the fsb and work your way up.. Vcore at 1.775 and agp at 67.. I have a vdd mod at 1.80.. Disable the cpu throttle.

Re: Newby ready to Overclock my Computer a little but nervous. Suggestions wanted.

Procharger said:
I see the 8rda+ sticky here but I know O/Cing is dependent on the system a lot so I thought I would give you details on my system and get some recommendations on getting some recommended initial settings.

System Information and Parts List:
Bios says the CPU temp is 27C and case temp is 28C :confused:
Mobo: 8rda+
CPU: XP2100+ AIUHB 0304 (I believe but forgot to write it down :bang head
Memory: 256MB PC3200 TwinMos
Heatsink/Fan: SK6+ and a Delta 60mmX38 blowdryer
Hard Drive: 60gb Maxtor ATA133
CD Writer: Polaroid 48X??X?? who cares :D
Video Card: Sapphire 9700 nonpro
PowerSupply: Sparkle 400w
System Fans: Antec 80mm Stealth and 80mm tornado blowing in. Delta 60mmX38 blowing out.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

The first thing I would do is to up the FSB in 1 or 2 Mhz increments without changing anything else and see how high you can get stable performance. Once you figure out that plateau (monitor temps as you do so) then try lowering the multiplier a notch and upping the FSB a little more to see how well you can do. Keep dropping the multi and upping the FSB in small increments until you get the best stable run you can get. THEN, at that point, raise the CPU voltage a notch and start upping the FSB again to see how high you can go stably, keep doing this. The idea is to the the FSB as high as possible with the CPU multiplier as low as possible while keeping the temp of the CPU below 50 C or so. As a general rule, I don't like using voltages in excess of 1.85 or 1.9 unless I have some excellent cooling solution in place. The idea is to go slow and easy, take baby steps. Don't get impatient. It is ok to spend several days gradually upping things until you get the best result. Hope this helps.

I got it up to 2.0GHZ with a FSB 2X154MHZ, cpu voltage of 1.64 (didn't touch it myself), at 32C. I would show you sisandra ratings if I new how.

I think I'm satisfied for tonight and I may toy around with improving it tomorrow. It seems like I could easily keep going. It's kind of addictive :D

PC3200 memory means that it's rated to run at 200 MHz fsb, add to that the fact that you have TwinMos which is of high quality (especially if you're lucky and have the Twinmos with Winbond chips)..

Anyways.. crank up that fsb and see how high you can take it..

Also, with that CPU you should be able to get to at least 2.2-2.3 GHz.. possibly even 2.5 but for that I'd suggest getting better cooling.

Safe voltage is debated.. some say 2 V is fine, others say not over 1.85 V.. i'd say run whatever you feel comfortable with.. I run mine at 1.95V with a V9 and no probs for me..

Try upping the fsb as far as you can.. and by that I mean that you should be able to get it up around 200 MHz.. if the screen is black or is having some siren sound when you reboot, hit the reset button and hold the insert key until you see the POST screen and then enter bios..

I go up in 2mhz jumps at a time , burn in a little then benchmark. i only up the vcore when it shows instability & then only in .25v at a time after running at a set speed for a bit you can back down some. alot of people are hung up on ultra high fsb but i play around with it to see what works best. sometimes a higher multiplyer & lower fsb works better & then sometime it doesnt ,dont reliy on one benchmark try'em all. just remember "stable" who cares if you get to 2.5ghz if it only lasts for 10min at a time , have fun/ beat the crap out of it & let us know how it flys. (GOD I LOVE THIS SH*T)

Back