• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reassigning IRQ's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IZON

Seems like a black art. All I can do is disable or enable them in BIOS.

IRQ 5 and IRQ 11 are seriously over allocated on my rig. Is there a way to reassign allocations to less busy IRQ's? [11 allocations on IRQ5 & 8 allocations on IRQ11].

Is your system running badly?

Sounds like if your ACPI is enabled, it is just grouping devices on those IRQs, which shouldn't make for any problems.

I haven't clocked it yet. But at stock its sweet. Idle temps are a little high currently cpu @ 40 mobo @ 30 according asus probe.

Will disabling ACPI make matters worse (or give me more options to re-allocate?)

edit/ I've just consulted the manual, I think ACPI is better left alone

Well, on nForce2 mobos, reallocating IRQs is not possible.
Just shows you how "smart" nVIDIA designed this chipset(next time I'll buy a mobo with a chipset mae by a REAL chipset maker, like...Intel or VIA ;)).

I thought as much, it's not really a big problem. I discovered that if you disable redundant features like LAN & Com ports, Firewire etc, the ACPI adjusts, in my case the pleasant surprise came when I discoverd that IRQ11, which initially had 11 allocations assigned to it, now only has three. So there are ways around it but I get ur drift.

LOL, 11 devices sharing IRQ11 :)
How I miss my good old 4G4A+ mobo :(

PS. What happens if you would actually use onboard LAN, COM ports and so on ?

IRQ sharing shouldnt be any kinda of a problem untill the system encounters a divise that needs an IRQ of its own and it bdefault IRQ is already in use.
older ISA cards with jumpers on had a problem with this and it was possable to sort out by settings in the BIOS and OS but in this day of PnP I dont think 11 devises using IRQ11 should be a problem unless you start playing with it all

$0.02

Alexandrus said:
PS. What happens if you would actually use onboard LAN, COM ports and so on ?

lol, I'll just re-enable them again - voia la! Most of those items require some sort internal or external peripheral to be active; in which case you'd know which to reactive, unless you forget that is; and end up posting - 'MY BLAH BLAH WONT WORK'

Back