• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing NF7-S rev 1.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexhuzar

HELP! Flashing NF7-S rev 1.2

I just want a step-by-step guide from someone who has experience updating the bios of this board.

The aflash.exe and bios.bin (or whatever the file extension is) both have to be in the same directory. I just wanted to know if I have to find an MS-DOS boot diskette or will the aflash.exe act as a boot program of it's own? If so then can I just make a CD and boot off it and will it be the same as a floppy?

So...
1. Will putting aflash.exe and bios.bin on a CD and booting from it allow me to sucessfully flash the BIOS?
2. Or do I HAVE to use a floppy?
3. Will aflash.exe boot or do I have to get MS-DOS and then run aflash.exe from it?
4. If I need MS-DOS where can I download it from? (Been using win 2000 since 1999 and winXP since April 2001 ;))

Last edited:
This is how i did.

1. Put all the files on my Fat32 partition.
2. Boot with a home made bootCD (your old win98 bootable should work to)
3. Go to where i put the files and run runme.bat
4. Follow the instructions.
5. Done!

---
That worked like charm but assumes you have an fat 32 partition on which you can place the bios update files.
---

As for your questions:
1. Yes it should (i have never tried it but it is theoretically possible), assuming that the you make a bootimage to make the cd bootable, aflash.exe itself does not contain any boot info.
2. If you cant boot from the cd or put the update files on the cd, yes.
3. aflash.exe wont boot anything
4. www.freedos.org, otherwise, boot from you old win98 bootable cd

I did it by following the method in the users guide and it worked fine. There is a new utility available that allows you to flash from within windows, several people at the Abit forum have mentioned it but I can't seem to find a link to it. As far as the boot disk goes, if you put a floppy in and format it from within "my computer"
and have the option available (I just tried it with win2k and it wasn't there) to "install system files" it will get you to the A: prompt so you can run awdflash.exe, I will look for the link and post it when I find it. you can email me if you need more help.

floppy = oldschool
CD-RW = L33T

:D

floppy = BAD SECTORS
CD-RW = reusable 10 000 times

Floppy = ~2 min writing time for 1.44 MB (1.39 actual)
CD-RW = 800 kb/sec @ 4x + 30 seconds lean-in and lead-out :mad: :cool:

alexhuzar said:
floppy = oldschool
CD-RW = L33T

:D

floppy = BAD SECTORS
CD-RW = reusable 10 000 times

Floppy = ~2 min writing time for 1.44 MB (1.39 actual)
CD-RW = 800 kb/sec @ 4x + 30 seconds lean-in and lead-out :mad: :cool:
You forgot, making bootable CD-R the 1st time=hassle :D
and bios files are very small!

i dont think you can make that kinda boot disks from w2k or wXP.
quite stupid, imho.

to make an bootable cd:

1. make a boot disk in w98
2. copy the files on the floppy and burn it onto a cd, it might also be a good idea to burn the bios files on the cd as well

ét violá, boot and flash baby!

Last edited:
Win9X = eBiL
Win NT etc = L33T

Th4t's all folks!

I refuse to be within 1 km of any win 9x OS. I like MS-DOS because of it's simplicity and am willing to use it to do certain things like flashing my BIOS, but I will not use Win 9X to make the bootable CD. Anyway, I already made a boot CD-RW and put the new BIOS on it.

P.S. Did I mention how much I hate floppies and bad sectors? :mad:

Back