• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8K3A question does it support 5.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Does the 8K3A ( not the + version) support 5.1 sound???? I sold my old board to a friend and he wants to hook up his new Altec lansing 251CN 5.1 speaker system. I did not remember if it supports 5.1 or just is 2 channel. I do know it is AC97 based correct??

Cisco KId

It depends on the version. The earlier ones were only 2 channel, the later ones were 6 Though I've never used it, my 8K3A+ has the 6 channel sound. The southbridge on the motherboard is labeled "6 channel audio" on mine.

To bad its pretty much junk. The audio on it sucked big time. i doubt it is a 5.1 compatible sys since it only has 3 jacks. He should just purchase a 5.1 card

youthemandan said:
To bad its pretty much junk. The audio on it sucked big time. i doubt it is a 5.1 compatible sys since it only has 3 jacks. He should just purchase a 5.1 card

actually think it does support it so he believes ....

cisco kid

The 6 channel sound version does support 5.1. One jack is for line out/ front speaker out, one is for rear speaker out, and one is for center/ subwoofer speaker out.

Back