• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KX7-333 HD corruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

KX7-333 HD corruption HELP !

This is the first system in my sig. I can run it at 166fsb with a 4/1 divisor stable (found out by accident but it works). If I try to take it to 170 with the 5/1 I get corrupted files on start and windows won't load. BTW, I run fine at 1.7volts 13 x 166 . I took it all the way to 1.85 and it still won't load windows higher then 166. All the other times it showed corrupt files I reset to 166 and everything was fine. This time it won't load , so I guess it is time for a format.

What am I missing here ?

Also my temps never go above 42 load running folding 24/7 .

Last edited:
Have you tried running your memory with more voltage? Default voltage for DDR is 2.55V & sometimes even the faster rated memory needs a little bit more voltage to get it going. How much to raise it is up to you just don't go crazy with it so you don't end up burning it;)

I found out the same way that my AGP/PCI was fine at high speeds, you have to set the memory speed to 133 to get it to run with 166FSB@1/4 divider on mine or my RAM craps out, if your's boot's with the RAM @ 166/SPD you've got some good RAM cause the 1/4 divider makes it run at 4/5 (FSB/RAM) speed...

My KX7 is stable for prime95 and Sandra2003 at 200FSB but won't run any graphics intense programs games at over 170FSB!...

I found I had to put an old pentium HS on the NB to cool it enough to reach 200, also the first 'Hyperion' VIA drivers allowed me to reach 200 but the old 4in1's would'nt!. I did'nt think drivers loaded until windows did?. I could'nt run graphics with a 256MB AGP~Apperature until the hyperions as well, there'd be textures missing from 3DMark2001se and BF1942 would freeze on a white screen...

More memory voltage and the NB is probably crapping out on you. Download and make a floppy out of 'Memtest86', it'll tell you if your memory is crapping out at certain speeds...

I run at 166 at the moment until I find out how to up the NB voltage on the KX7...

I just had a thought .... I had a generic 300watt psu in it until this morning. I just put a thermaltake 420 in it. Could it be that when I upped the volts and mhz it took more power and starved the hd for power ? Could that cause the problem I was having ?

I hope it will because even though I am scared to try to take it over 166 again this little O\C demon inside me is screaming "MORE , MORE , YOU CAN GO HIGHER ! EVERYONE ELSE DOES ! "

OK I tested my memory and some out of an 8k3a that has been running at 180 for weeks.

Both sticks error like crazy no matter what voltage I set the ram at when I take them anything over 166.

So is it my board ?

Are there other adjustments that can/need to be made with this board ?

I have only addjusted the core voltage , FSB , and the ram voltage.

I am stumped any opinions ?

I can run mine at 180 with a ton of voltage with no problem. I clock it down as to run lower volts. You said you got 1.85 volts out of your KX7? Mine only does 1.75......odd.

Yes it goes up to 1.85, I just wish I knew what the problem was.

My load temps at 13x166 are 37c so I don't think the temps are the problem. I have a 120mm in the side of my case blowing on the northbridge and the cpu.

What is I/O voltage ? Does that need to be increased ?

hkgonra said:
OK I tested my memory and some out of an 8k3a that has been running at 180 for weeks.

Both sticks error like crazy no matter what voltage I set the ram at when I take them anything over 166.

So is it my board ?

You mean they are OK on the Epox but are messed up on the Abit? Either there is something not set right in the BIOS or the memory controller is FUBAR. I guess your running your CPU FAST COMMAND DECODE @ ULTRA?

Yes it runs fine on the epox and no good on the abit. I don't know what or where those settings are. My board has everything at default , but the FSB , and two voltage settings.

Like Sonny said Set it to FAST, Bring your CPU Multi down to lets say 10*~10.5... use the 1/5 Dev. and Only add Voltage to your CPU when your system becomes "Unstable" :) Next, try setting your RAM to User Define settings of 2~2.5, 2, 2T up the Voltage to 1.7~or more if necessary then everything else should be Default in the RAM settings AUTO est. And make sure you "Disable" CPU Error Correction thingy. This should help a bit :D

Works for me... Although it's the same, it’s still a different setup ;)

Good luck!

DpGravy

Back