• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a PROBLEM! Please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexhuzar

Ok here is what I need:
-MS-DOS boot disk to flash my bios

Here is what I DON'T have:
-A floppy drive

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Version of MS-DOS that I can put onto a CD-RW along with the new BIOS so that I can boot from it and then run the aflash.exe.

If anyone knows how I can get MS-DOS onto my CD-RW I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I'm running Win XP Pro and do not have any other operating system.

go to www.bootdisk.com and download DR.DOS7.X for bios flashing. Unzip it to your disk and use it to get you to a command prompt. Then flash away. It works fine with a floppy drive for me on 3 different mobos and chipsets so I know that it works. Whether you can do it from a CD-R or not is a different story.

Do you have any other software for burning besides the XP native drag, drop and burn util? Like Nero or something? If so, then I can make a floppy image file that you can use to create a bootable cd with your bios updates files and put it somewhere that you can download.

Also, you don't need DOS you only need the basic system files to get you to the A: prompt. What OS are you using? you should be able to make your boot disk from your OS how to get the files to the CD-R I don't know for sure what software to use. Do you have a floppy drive laying around you can hook into your system temporarily? I'm old school and still put floppy drives in my system because I still have uses for them:D when someone asks why, I think of posts like this, I'm not going to make a damn bootable CD-R to flash my freakin BIOS!:cool:

I am blessed with "the power of the internet" and have all the latest burning programs (NERO, Blindwrite Suite 4.2.9, CloneCD 4.2, Alcohol 120%). I just refuse to use anything older than win2k. I'm using Win XP right now and don't have any other operating system.

I do have a floppy drive but I don't want to use a floppy disk even if I could because I have bad experience with bad sectors. That is why I want to use a CD.

I saw the option for making a bootable CD using NERO. It is a little confusing. It has some options for emulation (1.44, 2.8, and HD emulation), but I still need an image file. I do not understand what this image file is. Is this simply the MS-DOS floppy boot disk image (with boot path and etc.) or is this something else?

djand, if you can send me that image of the boot floppy then I beleive I can manage to figure out how to make a boot CD with the BIOS files. You can send it to [email protected] (note: 1.9 MB limit).

When you use NERO to burn CDs it creates an image file that is saved as a temp file or you can save it elsewhere to burn additional copies at another time. If you take the files you want and start the burning process and cancel it when you are promted for blank media the image file will still be in your temp folder and until it is overwritten can be used to create a CD from. I hope that helps you some. If I can create a bootable disk I will help you a little more, I've never tried it.

LOL i know what ISO files are (*.nrg, *.bwt, *.ccd etc. etc. etc.). I just was not sure what was in the image that is required by nero to make a boot CD.

So if you have an image that is needed by nero for me to make a boot CD, then please send it to my e-mail. [email protected]

Thank you!

alexhuzar,

You've got mail. Just pick the bootable CD, pick this file as the image and manually set it for 1.44mb image, add your bios files to the cd and burn. Should be bootable, the image will load cd support and then you can run awdflash. I usually use a cdrw because adding multiple sessions kills the boot capability.

[edit]

BTW, if you used a floppy and had a bad sector, the bios file would fail crc check and awdflash wouldn't try to flash. Floppy isn't a bad option for bios flashing.

Damn,
you mean I just went and did that for nothing? I have an Image I can send you that has the BIOS files in it too, if you want it. It should be as simple as anything to use.:D

:( I got no mail yet and no way to boot into MS-DOS. Please someone send me that image. I'm having problems with my @rogers.com e-mail account and only my [email protected] is working. (UPDATE: [email protected] is now working again...I remembered the password finally LOL.)

I got lots of rare files for trade and am willing to put up my FTP for the first person who sends me the image file I need that NERO needs to make for me a bootable CD. :cool:

Last edited:
alexhuzar,

I didn't get a bounce message from hotmail, they may have dropped it. Check your other email account, I just sent the boot image there too.

[edit]
I just got a bounce message from hotmail citing delivery failure, no cause was noted though. Let me know if you get the one sent to the rodgers account.

Last edited:
\\\////\\\//0o0\\\///\\\///!!!!!!!!!!!!!! |\|ice wokr!!!!!!!!!!! Jo dude teh thing worked~~~~~~ ur 733t!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~~~

TheMightyBuck said:
www.googlegear.com
www.newegg.com

order a floppy drive... i use mine about once every six months... i'd be ****ed without it.
He doesn't seem to trust them for file transfer or something, he had a bad experience with them. I don't know how you could not have one laying around to hook to your system temporarily when you need it, I used it to create the Image file I didn't send him, and Nero asked for the floppy boot disk to copy files from.:cool:
If anyone else needs an image to flash their NF7 bios to 16 I have it saved.

www.googlegear.com
www.newegg.com

order a floppy drive... i use mine about once every six months... i'd be ****ed without it.
is the appropriate term I beleive. And the same would be applied to me if I found out that my floppy disk has bad sectors.

I DO NOT endorse outdated technology. I DO beleive that floppy disks belong in a museum.

We do not allow flaming or swearing here.

Thelemac

Last edited by a moderator:
alexhuzar said:
is the appropriate term I beleive. And the same would be applied to me if I found out that my floppy disk has bad sectors.

I DO NOT endorse outdated technology. I DO beleive that floppy disks belong in a museum.

Where were you without the "outdated technology"? All over this forum asking for help, bro

Stuff removed from previous post -Thelemac

Can someone please translate this gibberish? I don't understand newly developed, yet obviously primative, languages:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back