• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best mobo for OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godpickny_jm

Registered
I sold my KT4 Ultra and now looking for a new board for overclocking.
I getting the memory first and decided to get samsung pc3700 ddr ($110) but not sure which board to get.
My first option was 8rga from epox, but then there is the NF7s from abit (looks good) and now I'm leaning toward the Soltek 75FRN2.
The reviews of this board is good. But then there is the epox...abit...
Help me chose ... I need one that can make good use my pc3700 ddr

I would say find an Abit NF7-S 2.0. I have run my Crucial PC2700 in it up to 220mhz with no problems. Its a very nice board.

Yeh but does it oc better than the soltek and how do you beat the software bundle of the solyek board...plus it pretty...I need convincing of th abit...heard it had bios issues and such

keep the thinking of a rule of ocing. that is that only 3 companys make oc mobos.some try but still they are not as good as the big 3's oc mobos.
even then those 3 can make crappy ocing mobos also so you need alot of luck and research

the best ocing mobo now is the abit nf7 rev 1.2 and also the rev2 but thats rather new and i havent seen much yet on it being pushed hard yet.

the epox 8rda is my second favorite but if it doesnt have the newer revision north bridge id pass on it unless you want to do a vdd mod to surpass 200fsb

whats the diff. between the rev 2 and 1.2 abit boards......it could only be better right?...I wouldn't see anyshortcommings of another rev....maybe I am worng but what are the drawbacks of rev2 vs 1.2?

the only differace is just nvidia is sending out the newer revised chipset. we use to be looking for the A3 version on the NB but now its back to A1 to look for but will also have a date code usually of 03 wich is the year 2003,that way it wont confuse you as much.

that the only differance between the 2 revisions,nothing else changed.BUT this new chipset by abits words is its guarenteed 200fsb.
and should oc even higher than the 1.2 i have.

i ordered one should be here mid week.ill do a full testing and post results.its gonna hve to be darn good to beat this 1.2@230 fsb max

So skrew the new guy (soltek) and go tried and true (abit)...hope its not expensive...thanks...and what about the southbridge...no heat sink..no need?...Intend to go as high as possible and then some

And what about the 8rga..I get a geforce 4MX sort of...read only good reviews..and my first board was an epox (MVP4a) so there is some sentimental attachment to the brand...BTW MVP4a still running in my girl's machine...winxp rock solid...never a problem.

well after much reading i conclude nforce2 more trouble than its worth. I'll consider wating for via kt600.

Not nearly as much cases of RMAs, dead bioses, and general trouble with via chipsets...there is the problem of 4in1 drivers, but at least the board would be up and running.

If kt400 only had PCI and AGP locks...nforce2 would have no chance...
How long VIA...How long.
Damn you Nvidia...Damn you

Nforce2 (at the moment) IS THE BEST!!!!!!
why wait for VIA to catch up when you can just wait for the Nforce3! lol

sorry but nvidia has beaten via on this round. i even like the kt333 better than the kt400.
and ive also had less trouble with the nf2 than i have the kt333.

Via need to get a PCI/AGP lock and improved memory controller and high stable FSB speeds in order to compete with Nvidia.

Anything less than that it's Game over.

Nvidia wins hands down even with bugs it's still a better overclocking platform than anything Via has out now.

I see i have steped on a few toes...go for consation.
What I'm saying is that Nforces2 have hod too many cases of corupted bioses...dead board...RMA.
Now that may be ok foryou all in the US but I lve in Jamaica...too muchtrouble to do all that if the darn thing dies.
But If I must go with Nforce2 looks like the epox 8rga.
but I wont be buying until about a month...hopefully by then nvidiawould have sorted out that issue...but wait there is SiS new chipset sounds great...possibility...then there is KT600

As for playing catch-up, you must keep in mind that the newer chipsets will have more advanced features and most certainly be faster and more stable than nforce2.
Nvidia are not the only ones with good people...remember the radeon.
If they can lose the video card dominance to ATi, they can lose to the likes of SiS...dont underestimate SiS...I have a 735 board and it fine...your thoughts...

Nvidia released Nforce2 last year or about 8 months ago.

Via just released the Kt400a. I think 8 months is plenty of time to think of a competitive product. Don't you?

Back