• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some silly questions about Nforce2 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoB NaPaLm

I'm making a systems for a friend and another friend told me some things that sounded very odd to me so I thought I would come ask you guys for some oppinions.

I was going to get the Asus A7n8X deluxe mobo with a 2500+ barton and 2 sticks of 256mb corsair pc3200 Ram.

Now firstly my mate told me that he heard that corsair ram doesn't work properly in the nforce2 mobos and requires you to boot with different ram and then replace that ram with the corsair or some ******** like that :eek:
Is there any issues with corsair ram in nforce2 boards?

Secondly he said that instead of using pc3200 (ddr400) ram I should get pc2700 (ddr333) ram because if you use a 8x AGP card in the mobo, it will take extra bandwidth and limit the ram to ddr333 speed or something. Now this also sounds like nonsence to me.
So is there any truth to these claims or was this guy chatting out of his ***? I believe the latter but you never know :rolleyes:

Any help appreciated :D

Not completly sure but earlier bios did not report spd correct, or the corsair had the wrong, not sure which, I'm currently using twin corsairs 512's but system was setup was with 2 sumsung 512, I would think think that if memory was purchased now & board now this problem has been fixed! Don't have a answer for your second question but interested to here anybody's answer to this, ( I do think it was spd info on ram).

If you go to the Corsair site there is a note about a bad batch of RAM that was released that had some ething wrong with the SPD in the RAM chip , Has since been corrected and if you get new ram you shouldn't have any problems .
I installed my Corsair right outta the box and had no problems whatsoever Corsair ROCKS!

I myself purchased Twin-X 3200LL on account that i want to run at 200 FSB and the next chips coming out are going to be 200FSB anyway . And the board has support for PC3200. So you will be further ahead of the game if you go with PC3200 or PC3500 , PC3700.

And as far as the Vid card limiting your memery bandwidth , I personally think your friend needs another hit off the old crack pipe!

No issue with Corsair RAM in the A7N8X. Quite the opposite really. People were having issues running non-Winbond chips in this board in the very beginning.

And about the RAM/VGA interaction...as you can see in my sig, I run a Radeon 9700 Pro which is an AGP 8X card. I also run my system at 216MHz FSB which is waaay beyond PC2700 and very close to PC3500. Get the faster RAM. :)

~THT

Thanks for the answers guys. About the second one. It has since transpired that he was on about the MSI boards onboard vid limiting the bandwidth to 333 ddr so it shoudln't matter with an agp card.

Thanks again :)

Back