• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temps goes up and down during idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naddie

When my PC is idle overnight, my CPU temps goes up to 45*C, and goes back down to aorund 35*C and it does almost every hour (have it logged on the probe). There's nothing running in the background (nothing I know of anyways). Only things in the tray is the nforce tray options.

Anyone notice this on their PC, too?

Yeah I've noticed this. Even if it's not idle and folding all night, there's a fluctuation at regular intervals. At first I thought it was the AC coming on and off, but it happens when it's off all the time.

Yep.. me too. GOt the new SK7, and it runs very cool! Same temp as when I did the ghetto cooling (big-ol fan pointed at Volcano 5 HSF and NB HS).

Now all I need is a NB fan to attach to the stock NB HS. :)

I wonder why it flucuates like that. It can't be background programs (there are none). Should we really trust Asus with our temps? :p

Anyone actually takken a temp reading with one of those laser temp devices?

Have some similar behavior too... After booting up about 30 mins ago, system was cold... Went immediately into BIOS, checked temp and there it was slowly climbling... 23... 24...14...25...26...15.. etc... It settled around ~28 but once in a while it would jump to high tens then back to "normal"... Weird

I noticed that it did that with BOTH 1002 and 1003. :eek:

mine jumps underload, or idle, maybe 4 degrees or so. Waterblock is making good contact, but temps chage much to fast for water cooling, haven't been ablt to figure out what is wrong though. Hopefully someone can come up with some good ideas

Hopefully, it's just a fluke in the way the A7N8X is reporting the temps, and not the actual temps.

It's all about how the bios and programs read the SMbus. Nothing to worry about. I've seen similar when I put the board in my Vapochill... -3 -3 -3 127 -3 -3 -2 -2 127 -2 -1 -1....
But I would worry if it was the opposite... 127 127 127 -3.... ;)

/Norrko

I get solid 127 on one sensor, but I assume that is trying to read a fan sensor or something stupid. I don't get the temp fluxes.

Question for those of you who do. Do you have fan control turned on in bios? Or automatic speed change fans? This would easily explain your pattered temp fluxes.

Back