• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ Onboard Audio VS SB Live! Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azehof

Registered
I was wondering wether I should just take out my SB Live 1024 card and use the onboard, or is the SB Live still technically better?

I personally took my SBL 5.1 out and use the OBS on my 8RDA+...after active cooling the SB, I dont have the cracking sounds and I personally think the OBS is better then my SBL 5.1

I've seen people putting cooling all over thier 8DRA+ boards, but is the crackling down to a overheating SB? it only seems to effect me in 9X OS's.

does that board have the 6.1 realtek like the 8k5a2+ ? if so then yank out the SB for sure... I think the onboard on those boards are awesome.

Check out the front page link at OC.com :

"On-Board Sound Can Slow Down Your Gaming By how much? Some measurements here ."

The 8RDA+ onboard audio sounds great, and according to the Tom's Hardware article offers better performance than even the Audigy. So unless you need the additional features provided by your soundcard it seems the logical thing to do is to pull it from your system and use the onboard nVidia sound.

JeffnNetti said:
does that board have the 6.1 realtek like the 8k5a2+ ? if so then yank out the SB for sure... I think the onboard on those boards are awesome.

Yes, the Realtek ALC650E 6-channel full-duplex.

azehof said:
I've seen people putting cooling all over thier 8DRA+ boards, but is the crackling down to a overheating SB? it only seems to effect me in 9X OS's.

The sound cracking is from the SB overheating and it can do this in any game if played long enough or if the game has heavy sound files for it, especially if OCed very high.

Me and quite a few others have found that cooling the SB will stop the cracking. Since I have actively cooled the SB, no games at all have had this issue, not even DX9 games.

chaosdriven said:
Check out the front page link at OC.com :

"On-Board Sound Can Slow Down Your Gaming By how much? Some measurements here ."

The 8RDA+ onboard audio sounds great, and according to the Tom's Hardware article offers better performance than even the Audigy. So unless you need the additional features provided by your soundcard it seems the logical thing to do is to pull it from your system and use the onboard nVidia sound.

Tom's is about as believeable as Saddam Hussein is on no WMD's and I think they are best friends anyways...tom is a serious AMD and VANs hater, so I wouldn't hold his reviews at all...

If this was true then why have I not lost ANY frame rates in any games when using the OBS.

Last edited:
The Nvidia OBS awesome and doesn't take much in the way of CPU cycles.

Enable it, use it, love it.

I re-installed my Audigy card since I couldn't get Neverwinter Nights to work properly with the onboard sound.

Back