• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

canterwood and springdale

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
May 20th is the relase date for Springdale
some time this month in april should be the relase date for Canterwood...

the motherboards will then show up shortly after

Kronos138 said:
what are ya'll looking forward to more? the s-dale or the c-woods?

the offical price, and final silicon benchmarks
Price/preformance

I dont want pay 50% more for the c-wood to get only 10% more memory bandwidth and 3% more system speed

10% more, that would be ok, maybe

jAY said:
May 20th is the relase date for Springdale
some time this month in april should be the relase date for Canterwood...

the motherboards will then show up shortly after
Isn't May 20th the actual release date of the springdale motherboards? The mobo makers already have the chips.

Yeah and I thought 14th was the official release of the canterwoods...maybe im wrong but i believe thats right

Last edited:
abits canterwood motherboard is on their site now. looks very promising. agp8X, DC ram, ddr 400, firewire, usb, sata, with adapters that work with cdrom drives now. claim to be able to get to 1000 fsb, quad pumped of course, stabily

what's the difference between the canterwood and springdale? i don't understand are they releasing two top of the line chipsets at the same time?

#1 Overclocker said:
what's the difference between the canterwood and springdale? i don't understand are they releasing two top of the line chipsets at the same time?

The i875P is the Workstation version of Springdale..
It has a reduced memory latency by adding "bypass paths" and "fast paths" to the MCH.

batboy said:
Abit IC-7 Max just might be my next mobo... drool.

I just worry about the upgrade path.
Will 1st gen prescotts still use the same socket?
i am getting mixed answers on this question

No one knows yet, Jay.

But you should remember that the Canterdale boards and Northwood C processors are the last evolutionary step in the .013 micron and DDR process. Prescott is a major overhaul. It is going to move to .009 micron and the boards you can buy for it will launch DDR-2 and some other neat stuff.

I think its socket format is going to become less of an issue the closer we get to its launch date. There are going to be enough good reasons to replace the board, cpu and memory that I don't think many people will be worried about carrying over their existing stuff.

BHD

BaldHeadedDork said:
No one knows yet, Jay.

I think its socket format is going to become less of an issue the closer we get to its launch date. There are going to be enough good reasons to replace the board, cpu and memory that I don't think many people will be worried about carrying over their existing stuff.

BHD

Intel has hinted that they will use the same socket at 1st...
but also hinted they may not use it at all....

And I along with MANY other people are not willing to replace our Motherboards, and RAM every 6 months. So as you all get hyped up about the new chipsets, If it is only going to last me 6-8 months, looks like i dont have a good enough reason to upgrade yet.....

And the BX lives on.

Toscani said:
Socket T will not be employed until 2004 on the Prescotts.

Yes i know that, but that was not my question.
I want to know what the EARLY prescotts will deput as.
Will it ONLY be socket T or will it also be socket 478????

I am getting mixed answers on that question.

Back