• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NFS-S and RAID-0 INFO needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugeyes

NF7-S and RAID-0 INFO needed

I’m considering buying the NF7-S main board, but would like to here from owners who use the on-board SATA chip in Raid – 0 configuration, before I commit to the purchase!

I want to run two Maxtor 6L040J2, ATA 133 HDD’s in raid-0 configuration with two serillel adapters. Has anybody tried this combination? If so, did you have any problems, and what sort of performance can I expect? Or do you think I would be better off running these HDD’s from a dedicated PCI Raid card ?

Also I will be doing a bit of overclocking and I am not sure of the north bridge voltage adjustments that this board provides? Can some one tell me what range of adjustment the bios provides?

Any feedback you good people can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards bugeyes.

Last edited:
Most of the people that have attempted to use the SATA controller for a raid array have had drive corruption problems, I'm currently using the SATA controller to run a single drive and haven't had any problems with it. If I were to run an array I would probably get an add in PCI card to run it on unless they come out with a fix for the SATA. Otherwise this board is really a good board, it's just too new still to have the bugs worked out. ;)

I am currently using the Abit NF7-S v1.2 and I am using both serial ATA controllers on two WD Special Edition 40 GB hard drives and having no problems what so ever. The only flaw is every once in a while on a reboot I lose one of the hard drives which cause XP not to boot but all I have to do is Cycle the Power Supply main switch and then it all works fina again. Been able to run my FSB up to 190 with a 12 multi no problems and the hard drives have kept up no problem. This board Serial ATA works great

ok now a hard question.is the sata raid affected by high fsb? or are they able to keep that isolated ?

Deathstar asks the question I need the answer to. I WILL NOT buy a new board unless my raid will work with it. I want to buy this board.

Screw it. I will test out this board with the Raid and push the FSB as high as my new pc3500 Hyper X will let me. I will let you guys know when its set up and finally end this torrid mystery!:D

Just ordered from Excaliber w/ the extra SATA adapter. It will work with raid or it will go back!:bang head

That's the only thing I haven't tried on this board with my rev. 1.2 I had enough of the :bang head just to get this far, I was trying to get it going a little faster the other day and got the siren shutdown, I figured it was over but it booted back up with the insert key pressed and I got back into bios to adjust things. I also experienced the "blue line bios screen" too. I feel pretty lucky to have it running still and I got another 100mhz out of it! :drool:

well someone posted they have the raid up and going no issues. i forgot where the post is but in general mobos somewhere.

i just got my rev2 today and dont feel upto going threw installing a mobo and xp pro in one night.

but ya know if it dont work thats grounds for an rma and $$$ back. so i wouldnt fear.
ill still post back as i hope to finich up tomorow.

btw i tested my 256 htperX 3500 also in signle and dual channel.
it runs the same as my xms 329 2.0-3-3-7 225 2.0-2-2-5 but does it at 2.8vdimm
now in dual channel with both those sticks together i get 220 2.0-2-2-5 2.9v also but i cant run 3dmark DC at 220.some say its a vdd voltage issue and more voltage will clear that up.
but its 100% stable dual channel 210 2.0-2-2-5

I have tryed the SATA, and after installing XPpro and ect. I rebooted my pc, only for the SATA NOT to find my one HD. I have always run RAID 0 (2xMaxtor ata133 40Gb), but have ended up with just 2 40Gb HDs now. I have the latest BIOS, and SATA driver ect...
I was really keen on keeping my RAID 0, Later when time permits i will give it another try. Untill then, i am taking no chances.
:(

I just got my NF7-S and installed it and reformatted today. I'm just using the regular IDE connector right now, are there any issues with switching to the serial port with the adapter now, or did you guys all do it with a fresh hard drive format and OS install?

no its should swap right over to sata. will need to set the hdd as master,but mine i needed to take all jumpers off or wouldnt recognise it.

Okay thanks, I'll try that out after I'm done stability testing and stuff (got a new 1700+ JIUHB 0310 as well). I've encountered one issue so far, that was when installing the Cat 3.2 ATI drivers, it wouldn't boot into windows. I tried the Cat 3.0 drivers and everything seems okay now.

i had issues with the raid0 sata setup with xp pro and ati drivers also. once installed it would instantly bsod.

no issues liek that under 2k pro tho.this stuff is rather new and makes me wonder just how much its tested before they throw it to us geuni pigs?!

Heh, yeah I'm sure we're all using combinations that they haven't tried before. They can't test all the different possibilities, but sometimes you wonder if they have tested any at all.

Captain Hilts said:
Heh, yeah I'm sure we're all using combinations that they haven't tried before. They can't test all the different possibilities, but sometimes you wonder if they have tested any at all.
i completly agree, whats bad is raid0 is hard enough to set up for a newb as it is let alone throw in bugs like this.

unless a person is familier with raid0 setup and install i would highly suggest not trying it.

Back