• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could someone do a Hot Flash for me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkaGoatMaster

could someone please hot flash my A7N8X-D's BIOS for me?? I will mail it to you, and pay for postage back to me. I jsut don't want to have to pay ASUS the outragous fee they want to do it for. Please PM me.

Don't you know someone that have a Eprom programmer?
Any friend at a factory, school or something?
You always put the board at risk when you do a hot flash. That's why I ask...

/Norrko

Norrko said:
Don't you know someone that have a Eprom programmer?
Any friend at a factory, school or something?
You always put the board at risk when you do a hot flash. That's why I ask...

/Norrko

If you boot up another board (with similar BIOS), boot to DOS, pull out the good BIOS chip, put in the bad BIOS chip, reflash, replace with orginial BIOS chip...and you're set.

Interesting.

So it is safe to pull out the bios flash memory chip while the motherboard is live??

cw823 said:

If you boot up another board (with similar BIOS), boot to DOS, pull out the good BIOS chip, put in the bad BIOS chip, reflash, replace with orginial BIOS chip...and you're set.

Did you qoute me to inform me or someone else? If you try to inform me I know how it works.

And no, it's not risk free to do a hot flash. I know that because I've been working with upgrades and flashing of bioses and other eeprom since.... I don't know, but it's been a lot of years now. I've been reading ic data sheets since I began to talk.

/Norrko

hitechjb1 said:
Interesting.

So it is safe to pull out the bios flash memory chip while the motherboard is live??

I've done it. In my case both boards were same model, same revision, so that took some of the guess work out of it. But yes....remove the chip while the motherboard is live. (It can be done, though would give no personal guarantee unless I did it myself)

Bios Replacement

These guys can sell you a new chip for under $30:
http://www.biosrecovery.com/

Its a lot safer and easier than hot flashing you chip. It won't cost much more than shipping you board twice.

I would go to the effort to flash it for you, but I can't afford to risk my new board. My guess is that the same goes for most people in here.

I am also assuming that your tried botting with a bios floppy, and the other do it yourself tricks posted elsewhere on the board.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155935

Once in this thread, click the link posted by cowboy x, read about the bad bios flash method using the boot block, its aways down the article. Instead of using the line they have in the autoexec.bat use the one I posted I've tried it three times now and it work two out of three times give it a shot. If that doesn't work, then yes you will more than likely need a chip but I'm pretty sure it will work.

asus only charges about $15 to $20 for a new chip and only $5. if you send them yours and they will flash it for you I had thenm do my A7V333 after I $%^ed up trying to flash it my first time.

Drak55 said:
asus only charges about $15 to $20 for a new chip and only $5. if you send them yours and they will flash it for you I had thenm do my A7V333 after I $%^ed up trying to flash it my first time.

New chip flashed with latest bios $25 regular ups and $40 overnight, and $5 to reflash old one.

Back