• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VERY "WEIRD" PROBLEM in nf7-s 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IGUANAS

Registered
Hi, im very new to this forum (first post) and maybe some of u can help me with my new rig.
i will try to explain my problem in the most "clear" way, (i dont speak the english well).
well...
i recently aquired an abit nf7-s 2.0
the first time i boot up my system its all OK!, but, when i turn it down, and i want to turn on again, it turn on, but all with "less power" im mean that the fans spin slower, and the mobo lights dont get too bright!. , it keeps in that state for a cuple of seconds, and then it tuns off. and i cant turn on pressing the pwr button.
the only way to turn on it, is shutting down my psu (a noganet 350w, very solid and stable psu BTW) wait at least 20 seconds, turn on it again, and then i can turn on my computer...
when turned on i had no problems at all...
so, i dont know what to do!!
thanks in advance!

BTW, i looked through the forums , but i cant find a similar problem!

Since you are experiencing the fans turning slow and such I would think the problem to be the power supply or a grounding problem. The NF7-s is known to be picky about certain components and the power supply is one of them, PSUs that people have used for a long time with other boards and had good results are having problems running this board. If you can borrow parts to test with you will be able to figure if the board is bad or just "picky" :D

man that sucks that the board is so picky....erg.....gunna keep swappen at fry's till there is a for sure rev. proven to ROCK! alla the DLt3c 1700+:D

I have had no problems running my Thermaltake 420W PSU or my Raidmax 500W PSU. The ones having problems running with a 420w+ PSU where probably running a cheap as* generic PSU which can cause more problems then solve.

If you do go with a new PSU, just make sure it is a good brand...one hint...just because it is expensive doesn't mean it is a good PSU ;)...

thanks!! my psu is rated at 20A in 3.3v rail and 1.5A in 5vsb rail (i think that the problem is here), i will go for one with 26A in 3.3 and 2.5A in 5vsb, i hope that solves my problem.

BTW... my fans doesnt slow down since the machine posts...
but i hadn´t ground cable in my electric installation (very common here in argentina)

hopefully my $14.99 sparkle psu will run my nf7-s 2.0 (both are in warehouses somewhere, waiting for me to place the orders)

I had that happen a couple of times on different boards, and I just reconnected the power to the cpu fan and maybe one or two others to different leads and then it worked ok. Detach all leads and attach them to different devices and see if it works right. Sometimes to many plugs off of same lead from PS can cause this, or simply a bad connection somewhere.

I was running a 350w enermax and it wasn't even close enough to power an nForce2 system with a good overclock and a power hungry video card...with a good overclock.

Even with the video card not volt modded and the chip runing at 2250 mhz the 350w enermax wasn't enough.

I know enermax kind of suck, but they are no worse then any other PSUs (with the exception Antec, sparkle and some of those very high end PSUs. i.e. PC Power & cooling).

You will need at least 350w from most makers, the one exception seems to be the 300w Verax unit in the well known shootout done by Toms hardware, I haven't found anyone selling the Verax or Heroichi, but the Fortron is easy to find for about $40 and they got 454w out of it.:D I have gotten my 2100+ T-bred to 2262 at the moment with the cheap 350w unit that came with my case, but I'm surely at its limits now.

yep... too bad for me!!!!
here in argentina i only get genertic psu´s at very high price (i paid 205U$ for my abit nf7-s 2.0, get an idea), and the only true good psu out there is an antec true power 480 at 180u$
(110 u$ is the salary of the month of the average here...)
so, i will get the best i can for 60u$ here (the topower, with an ugly case, because they dont sell it alone)
****ING 3rd WORLD COUNTRY!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED...
PSU CHANGED...

now i only left the infinite loop problem in my siluro ti4200 128MB

Well you're making progress anyway, sure is expensive to build computers there huh, couldn't you have things shipped to you and save $$ or do they tax you to death on it?

whats all this crap about nf2 needin 350watts minimum to run? look at my sig,..... its all done with 1 300watt powerman psu. runs like a champ. either i got a hella psu or, youre runnin alot of components of yours.

its preferable build computers buyed here, cause of the taxes...
and the shipping cost, it goes down a few dollars, but i dont had RMA :(
so i prefer buy here...
i still had a DDR pc2100 with lifetime garanty that i cant send to RMA.
so...

now im running fine with a 300w psu, i dont think that 350 is totally minimun!
but maybe this is the cause i get the infinite loop problem...
i dont know!

The_Jizzler said:
whats all this crap about nf2 needin 350watts minimum to run? look at my sig,..... its all done with 1 300watt powerman psu. runs like a champ. either i got a hella psu or, youre runnin alot of components of yours.
All this crap is about power supply manufacturers that overrate their power supplies ratings. If you read the test @ toms hardware they found many PSUs that didn't cut it, but what do they know right?:p That's why I said "from most makers" my 350w is working fine but I bet I could get more out of my 2100+ than 2266mhz with a better unit.

I'm using a 300w fortron to stabily power the system in my rig. I think that Powermans are just rebadged fortrons, but you really don't want to go any lower than 350w for with any other psu manufacturer

Back