• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tec Psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moriquendi

Registered
Kinda new to this but....

Is there a reason why i shouldent use a transformer from a low voltage lighting system to power a tec?

Cheers

Idris

lol, i dont understand either.

Tecs need DC current, 95% of lighting requires AC current.

The ANTEC 550 truepower will power a 226w tec.
or this PSU http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/peltiers.asp

but it also depends on the transformer. How many amps can it deliver? if it can go to 25AMPS and the votage is NO less than 8volts sure you can use it in some form of linear. but more than likely it will not work.

if you can get a pic, that will be interesting

the lights i'm talking about use 12v DC supplied from a transformer, go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for this code QS35Q .It is a 200w transformer and even if it supplied ac it would be very easy to rectify it to dc.

It may be that i have to get two 150w transformers insted and run them in paralell(sp)

Idris

this is very interesting. confusing it is.

the one rated at 200W (4x50w) might work very well on a 226w.

Possible problem:
HOW clean is the power? it might need filtered.

i dont think it matters how clean the power is because tecs are not logic devices and besides powersupplies can be "cleaned" by the subtle use of large caps.

Idris

think about the difference.... 20 amps at 120V ac is not the same as 20 amps at 12v dc...

i don't know if there is a difference, i think there is, not sure right now, so i'm not go on about it, but look into it, before you blow yerself up.

also, i don't ya'll use 120 v AC out of yer walls... 230V is it? i dunno.

AHA i found it watts/volts=amps so 50/12=4.167amps and if you could run the 4 lines in parrallel you would get just over 16 volts which would be good for a 226watt pelt i believe

actually, run in series to get higher voltage. run in parrallel to get higher current....

put two 1.5 volt batteries (a, aa, ,aaa, c, d) and u get 3 volts....

Back