• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TEC w/switch setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bratchneydog

Registered
I have a meanwell and an MCW5000-PT and i'd like to set it up so the TEC gets power from the meanwell when I power up my system. I have this pump relay switch...

http://www.atacom.com/program/print...WAMC_WAVC_WAKI_WAAC&Item_code=WAAC_SWFT_PR_S2

Is there a way I can rig this up to power my TEC when I power up my comp w/truepower 550? Basically, I'd like the meanwell to engage when the truepower engages. If you have any ideas please let me know!

Also, I don't have a pump yet, but when I get one can I wire it to the truepower so that the meanwell is dedicated? Or should I just wire it to the meanwell, cause pumps don't draw much power?

I appreciate any ideas.

what you need is a basic device to home brew. i have made several for myself and others.

The simple way....

purchase a relay. (12v coil and contacts rated atleast 10amps.)
purchase a extension cord end. (or just find a scrap cord (3 prongs))
Find a molex connector (old fan or somthing)
Find a computer receptical. (this is the socket where you plug in the power cord into the PSU)
and strips of thicker gauge wire. (extension cord wire is great)

procedure. From here it should be self explainable. (bad diction today) You solder the molex ends to the coil contacts on the relay. Take the extension cord end and the other strip of wire (which is connected to the meanwell) and solder the BLACK wire to the "NO" contact on the relay. (NO=normaly open). Now, solder a black wire to the relays "commen" contact and then (the same wire) to the computer style recepticle (use the tab that has a "L" on it.) Take the two remaining white wires from the extension cord end and the meanwell and solder them to the other tab on the computer style recepticle. "L" tab. The last step is getting a project box (radio shack) and placeing the relay within it to prevent a short or a wicked shock to the user.

Now when the computer PSU is activated it will give a 12v signal to the relay completing the AC curcuit powering the MEANwell and the pump. THe reason why i went with an extension cord end is because you can simply plug in your pump.

lol, i just remember i have a pic of one.

This one is not connected to its own computer style receptical, it connected directly to the comps PSU receptical, hence enlimiating the secondary power cord. The back of the mini PCD board has a piece of neoprene foam gooped to it.

S1.jpg

i hope this helps.

sounds like a plan, let's just see if i can do this without electricuting myself.

appreciate it

Back