• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone help me set this up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typer

Registered
This is the first time I actually tried putting together my own computer by myself. I have the Gigabyte 8INXP. Just tried to boot it up after installing my harddrive and CD Rom hoping it would boot up OK. Then it said MBUltraBios133 are not installed because there are no drives attached. What does this mean? How come it doesn't detect my harddrive? When I go into the bios it shows up, along with the CD Rom I just installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to get this thing working and would hate to bring it to a computer shop when it's probably something I could do on my own. Thanks again:mad:

attach teh hard drive to ide 1 (connector directly below atx power connector) and on teh END of the cable put your hard drive in primary mode.

Set boot to ide1 in teh bios and away you go.

Put the cd rom on ide 2 (i.e. not teh same cable as your hard drive)

jackal i had my harddrive attached to ide1 and my cd rom drive attached to ide2 just like you said. It still says no drives attached even after i installed the ATA133 driver from the CD it comes with. Windows XP is installed and works fine. Just wondering why it won't detect it during boot up? Thanks again for the help

jackal you think you can tell me exactly step by step how you set boot to ide1 in the bios please? Thanks

Set boot to ide1 in teh bios and away you go.

Very simple,

Go into bios.
Go into "Intergrated Peripherals" submenu.
Turn "Promise Function" or "Promise Chip" to DISABLED.

Then exit out of the intergrated peripherals submenu and go into "bios features" submenu.

Then set the following:
1st boot dev=Floppy
2nd boot dev=CD-ROM
3rd boot dev=IDE-0
4th boot dev=Disabled
Try other boot devs=Disabled/NO

very easy, and you will be back in business. You will want to visit back and we will tell you how to optimize all your bios settings for optimal performance. Or you can just drop me an email.

Compman is right. It was saying that because you didn't have anything connected to the promise chip. Disable it in the bios like he said then it will work fine and you won't get that message.

Skeetman

hmm.. not sure about that , the promise chip is entitrely separate and shoudlnt affect whats on ide 1 & 2

you do know that this board does not suuport ATA 133 ... so not sure where you are installing these ata133 drivers ?

Exactly what Compman and Skeetman said, You have onboard raid correct? You have no raid configuration connected to the IDE connectors for the promise chip; which you don't want anyway unless you want to run a raid system. goto your bios and disable promise function and make sure your boot order is correct. You should no longer get this statement.

his hard drive is on IDE1 and his machine shoudl boot from it ... i dont knwo why everbody os going on about teh raid ide..

it shouldnt matter whethere he has nothing attached to teh raid or 58 elephants and a Lambourghini Murcieolago attached to the damm thing .... IDE1 with an OS shoudl still boot his machine.

Thanks for your help guys. It doesn't say there are not drives attached anymore. The only problem when I boot up now is that it pauses and says:

Press <Ctrl + S> or F4 to enter RAID utility

then it pauses for a couple of seconds and then says:

Primary channel: drive not found
Secondary channel: drive not found

I don't have a problem booting in XP. Just wondering if it's suppose to say that stil? Or if there is a way to get it to just boot into XP without saying all that? Jackal or anyone with this board....was wondering if yours does this when you boot up also. Is there a way to get rid of it from saying this so I could get into windows XP a little quicker. Not that it takes long, but anything to make the bootup faster, the better. Thanks again in advance for any help at all.

yes:

there are 2 entries in teh bios for the raid controller:

1) to turn it into either raid or normal ide mode
2) to turn it off and on

just turn it off and you'll never get that messgae.. it wont look for the drives. And xp will boot a LOT quicker.

My old asus board did this with a promise ATA100 controller but sadly there was no way of disabling it and boot always took ages.

Yeah, Jackal is on the right track. Make sure the second option he described is disabled in bios. The promise chip will run as raid or as two normal IDE channels. It sounds to me like you changed the first one Jackel described and it was still looking for your drives. If you disable it entirely with the second option, you should be in business.

Skeetman

Back