• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do u guys think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aarion

Registered
i have just build a ghetto resevoir. I was thinking whether i can put 80 watts peltier to cool the water down. Not until extreme temps but cooler then normal. My water temp in the afternoon rises up to 43 - 45c. So i thought of cooling it down to something like 25 - 30 c would be good.

On a normal night the lowest i can get the temp to be is 35c for the water. I'm staying in a very hot country so what do you experts think? thank you.

nealric said:
Using pelts for chillers is very inneficient.

I think your better off just putting the pelt on the proc.
Yeah, depending on whether or not it's enough to chill the CPU, it's much more efficient. Otherwise you have to use lots of pelts and large heat sinks, since the pelts need to be big to chill the water to begin with.

i know it is very inefficient, but i just wan to make my water a bit cooler than normal. maybe 5 - 10c. Is it possible, and only planning on a 80 watts peltier.

It will be like peltier in the res -> pump -> cpu -> heater core -> res.

I do not wan to worry about condensation also. Thank you.

Wait a minute, you want to put the peltier in the reservoir? That will just be an 80 watt heater in your water. You have to cool the hot side somehow or else you're just dissipating energy where you don't want to.

Am I misunderstanding you? Because that happens sometimes too.

i think u really misunderstood me. I'm going to put the cool side in the res cooling the water. Using a normal heatsink to cool the hot side.

aarion said:
i think u really misunderstood me. I'm going to put the cool side in the res cooling the water. Using a normal heatsink to cool the hot side.
Hah, I thought so. In this case yes, the pelt would chill the water. You'll need a good sized heat sink though, and 80 watts of chilling won't do a lot to a largeish reservoir. But it will help.

if the res is inside your case, that is definately a BAD idea, as your case temps will soar.....!

if your res is outside your case, then your cooling will be improved, but i'm not gonna say it's a good idea, but yes, it will improve your water temps...... maybe slightly, but it will.

alrite then. I just want the water temp to be maybe 30c or less. So i think a 80 watts will do. And the res is outside the case, actually behind the case. Not too big, just nice for the peltier to cool.

Thank you very much for your help. Highly appreciated.

Back