• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minifridge phase change cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FastFSB

Has anyone used a minifridge to make a phase change cooling setup? i found a couple of minifridges in the basement when i set up my distributed computing farm, and that got me thinking. i have heard of people using 'fridges to chill the water in their w/c setup, but what about running the freon/r?? directly to a waterblock or "freon block" on the cpu? i doubt that the acrylic blocks would hold up but what about the all copper ones? also, do you think that most minifridges would have enough cooling potential to cool a modern cpu putting out 85+watts 24/7 without failing? thanks:)

Yeah, its been done. Check the articles on the main site, there is whole "how to" on it, or go to Phase-change.com for more info.
Actually, that is what I am working on right now...

nealric said:
yeah, you can even buy one. Thats what a vapochill is.

If you dont want to do much, minifridges make good waterchillers.

i know thats what vapochill/prometeia do. i was looking for info on making one from a minifridge. i was wondering if most minifridges could handle the heat produced on a continuous basis. i know that you can burn out the compressor if you leave the door open, as it is not designed to work that hard, and i was worried that the same would happen if it was cooing an 85+watt cpu 24/7.

futura:thanks for the link. i think im going to try it using a minifridge or two and an 866 coppermine.

Back