• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new motherboard install problems...doesn't see keyboard, help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

I just changed motherboards on one of my computers from a soyo 6ba+iv to a soyo 6vba133 (bx to via chipset)....and the computer posts and begins booting when it says that there is a keyboard error or no keyboard plugged in...i have tried refreshing the CMOS and changing keyboards...but no luck yet...if it can't recognize the keyboard i can't even get into the bios...i tried a usb keyboard and it allows me to use the keyboard a little...but then it crashes when loading windows....

also it says 2F8 I/O error....

anyone have any ideas?

IF you can get into the BIOS [maybe use a USB keyboard] try to disable the Serial and Parallel ports. There may be a IRQ conflict. If that does not work disable USB also [may affect the AGP though if you try that. But just to test and see if board is bad].
Was it a used board? There is a slight chance the port may be bad on the board also. I have probably seen a dozen or so PS2 ports crap out from guys plugging in and unplugging mice/keyboards while there was power to the PC.

Are you using a QWERTY keyboard? In some rare instances oddball KBs have probs with some MBs.

Look your case fans/CPU fan over real close. If any of them have a tach wire disconnect the fan if it is a case fan. Use a different fan on the CPU [do not recommend running PC without a running CPU fan]. Bad tach wires [or the fan itself] can pull some really tricky stuff on ya]

Terry, (I bought the 1.4 Ghz P3s from you right?)----the chip works great---i mean great 1.65 ghz at 1.65 volts...can post and boot at 1.7 but crashes---probably needs more volts....anyway thanks alot...

about the motherboard...i do think the ps2 ports are bad---but i have been able to use USB keyboard and mouse (after enabling USB keyboard support in the BIOS)....and it works perfectly now...i still can't get the ps2 ports to work...but oh well, now just need a multi USB card...

thanks for the info and chip again.

If it was a new board there is always the possibility it had a bad PS2 port from the factory. It happens. If it was new though I would RMA it.

Glad the 1.4 P3T worked out ok for ya :)

Back