• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelt with SLK-900? Need help Shopping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssj5

Registered
Hello everyone, I am getting a SLK-900 and tornado 80 in a couple days, my buddy at work suggested a peltier in addition to that setup. I have never used a peltier and he is still stuck in the PIII world :) I have seen a few pelts (just the white pad) for under 40 bucks USD. What type of ratings should I look for? any wattage recommendations? I have a Enermax 450W PSU, trying to get a 1700+ JIUBH as close to 3.0 as possible on an Abit NF7-S.

Just need to know how to shop for pelts? and "where" to shop...

~thanks

you wont be able to use a pelt on any of todays processors unless you are going to watercool it. They worked great on the older cpus but these new ones put out too much heat for the heatsink to handle.

question: if the processors of today put out too much heat for the HSF to handle... how will it work even air-cooled?? I'm just trying to achieve something a little cooler than with air alone.

the heatsink and fan can handle an 80 watt cpu.

they cannot handle an 80 watt cpu and a 156 watt tec.

the tec puts out as much heat as it's rated for.....

if you have a tbredB, yer gonna need to be able to dissipate like 230 some watts of heat to be effective.

air cooling simply cannot handle that much heat, and still keep the cpu under burning temp.

its not worth it, the noise is horrible and you have to buy or make a nice powersupply. The electric bill will also go up. It wont get you very good temps once you start overlocking and rasing the vcore.

The base of the slk-800~900 arent wide enough for a pelt.

Tecs put out roughly 30% MORE power than they are rated to COOL so a 226 watt tec~pelt would produce atleast 300 watts if not a bit more and an 80 watt or so cpu added to that would be insane. 80watt cpu+300~350watt pelt=380 watts atleast and more likely around 430 watts if the cpu is higher~pelt effeciency is lower. So chances are on a heavily overclocked cpu you need to have a good watercooling setup/large radiator to see any real good temp gains vs power draw,electric bill etc.

Back