• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI slot question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typer

Registered
Setting up a computer for the first time by myself. Got a Gigabyte 8INXP. About to put in my modem and audigy 2....just wondering which PCI slots I should stick each of them in, and if it matter anything at all which ones I put them in. Thanks for your help:)

Skip the slot next to the AGP card for 2 reasons.

1- AGP cooling. If you plan to OC the video at all you will want the extra space for cooling.
2- The AGP and 1st PCI slots share an IRQ. At least it does on my MoBo.

Anyone else have anything to add or correct me on?

Yes, that is what i hear as well, Not to use the first PCI slot, because it does share stuff with the AGP

raven

loads of devises share there IRQ with ither devises, some devises cant seem to do it but others are fine with it, ive found some modems dont mind what PCI slot number you put it in to while other do.

like 2SX said if you plan to OC your AGP card keep PCI1 empty but otherwise, it dont really matter unless you find theres a problem with the devise, in that case just uninstall it from devise manager and put it in a diffeant slot.

I normally have; AGP, sound, DSL modem, NIC, etc etc

Just for gp I always put my modem in the bottom slot, there's no heat issue to worry about and most of my cases the bottom slot is pretty well out of the air flow.

info...

fill your slots every other till the end, then fill from end towards AGP. like this:

AGP card, skip first, fill second, skip third, fill fourth. then fill fifth, then third, and finnally second.

most motherboards are set up so that any shareing is does in such a way that this patern works well.

also, if you are filling up all slots, be sure to put high bandwidth cards shared with low bandwidthcards.

For example, dont put a RAID card in a shared slot with a sound card. put RAID or sound with modems, or USB1.1 cards, or printer cards.

hope this helps

Back