• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Knockin on extreme's door

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess I stated my first post there a little vague. Heres what im looking at. Any ideas or pointers??

I changed my mind and going to set up a P4.

P4 3.06Ghz $468
Asus P4G8X $225
1gig PC3500 DDR $76
Geforce FX 5800 Ultra $349 or ATI Radeon 9700 not sure yet.
SB Audigy $249
Prometeia Case Haven't found a site for a price yet.

It helps to spell correctly when trying to insult people.

I haven't bought any of it yet. Im sure if i took the time and looked i could find better. I just had a brainstorm and threw all that up there in a matter of about 5 minutes. Didn't realize Samsung ddr ram was junk. Different people have thier own choices I guess. Thanks for the links.

youthemandan, you know that that belongs in the debate forum, don't ruin this thread.

and yes, if you buy 1 gig of ddr... for 76 bucks... it will be junk.

It prolly will be but like i said i put that together very quickly. Since i haven't bought any of it yet it will change. I already have a dual AMD system. Who knows I might still go AMD. I might go with Corsair RAM. I don't even know what it will turn out to be for final til i hit that purchase button.

Cheap ram not always bad ram say i. I gotten me 2x 256 from pny for 28$, yes i has. pc2100 it was, but 2700 it now is. Also, i like talking incomprehincably(spellcheck).

I can ask questions can't i. I didn't say anything that would **** off anyone i was jw why he was gonna use a P4. Don't be so oversensative

My reccomendation on a gig of ram would be twinmos. Its the best ram u can get and it prob the cheapest fast ram u can get. Get it at memoryx.com

You can pick up a VapoChill case at FrozenCPU as for your memory might I suggest you save some money and stick with PC2700 memory. The P4G8X is a granite bay chipset so it is a dual channel board and doesn't need PC3200 since, most likely even with phase change cooling, you won't get much over 170/175MHz out of the FSB with your chip (166 X 23 = 3.818GHz pretty fast and might be the limit of your chip) and GB motherboards only operate in a 1:1 ratio. If you want faster memory get PC3000 memory, but unless you want to run at super low memory latencies save some money and get slower RAM.

good luck getting ram that cheap.
Is the audigy in Canadabucks? I can get a platinum for under 160 US. And a normal audigy 6.1 for under a hundred. Buy better ram.
Why the hell are you thinking about going phase change if you are not willing to spend a few extra bucks on good ram that will clock at or higher than it's rated speed? If you put the system together, find out that your ram can't hold it's own even at the most relaxed timings you have wasted a good phase change system.
Get a phase change system only if you are going to go balls out and buy the highest quality equipment possible.
Otherwise, save yourself a couple hundred and get a decent water cooling setup. You will probably hit the limits of your sytem before you hit the max cooling power of the h2o setup. Besides you are using a P4, which runs cooler.
Save yourself some money to get a good system and go hang out with the waterboys.
Unless of course you are willing to spend some more money, get the best components you can buy, and be prepared to lose it all if you fubar the phase change or get condensation.
Are you really prepared for that risk?

I'm planning on going balls out with the system. I took what i could find in the 10 minutes oir so it took me to post the first and second post. LIke i stated before none of it is written in stone. This is gonna be my "flagship" computer.

$70 for a gig of 3500? Good luck finding two 512s for that low. It is difficult to get matched sets of 3500.
FX Ultra? Those have pretty much gone the way of the voodoo. Just get a 9800pro for the same price.
Wait for canterwood and 800mhz fsb intel chips. Those will drive the current chips and mobos into the ground.

Back