• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap PIII mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

I have a friend whos computer is crap. It has a 733MHz PIII with 256MB PC-133. I want a mobo with onboard sound and video and I am also planning on getting a cheap atx case for less than $40. What would a good non-oced board be? They are also on a cheap upgrade budget. Less than $150 at most including s/h.

Are you looking for slot 1?
If so, supposedly the Intel boards are good for non-overclocking stability, not sure about onboard features. But I do know the Abit SH6 has onboard sound and video. Looks like one is for sale over on ebay right now. You can get it for around $75.00-90.00.

There are a couple of nice 370 MOBO's for sale over in our classifieds right now.

Ralf Hutter has a couple of Asus TUSL2-C's for sale. Not sure what the "C" stands for. I think they got onboard vid/sound. It’s exactly what you’re looking for, in your price range. I’ve never owned one but I think they’re really good socket 370 boards

Yeah, I've got a couple of Asus Tusl2-C's for sale, one brand new, the other was my own personal board. They both support Tualatin PIII's and Tualatin Celerons. They're both very good deals.

TISU is OK but has issues if you're going to OC it.

Best Socket 370 boards made are Abit ST6, Asus Tusl2-C and Gigabyte GA60-XET. All are nearly impossible to find any more.

Hi dude_drew,

Is the processor FCPGA or PPGA? Celeron 533 MHz processors came in both flavors.

FCPGA CPUs would be green in color, and PPGA ones black.

PPGA CPUs won't be be compatible with motherboards supporting Tualatin processors, i.e. TUSLC-2 - so please check that first.

Also Tualatin supporting intel chipset - 815EP does not have integrated graphics.

Cheapest u can go for is i810 or i810E based boards, but they will have not AGP slot, so u won't be able to put in additional graphics.

U can check out this really cheap board:

http://3btech.net/so7iv1so370f.html

However, since i810 chipsets/boards are no longer in production, it might be a problem with RMA.

www.matrixsurplus.com has some cheap socket 370 boards including the cusl2.

I ordered a ECS D6VAA (30.00) dual socket 370 form there and zip 100 internal (16.00) -- everything went smoothly.

T

Hi dude_drew,

If your CPU's green, then u'r in luck - even newer socket 370 mobos supporting Tualatins will work with u'r CPU.

U can pick up a VIA PLE 133 board with integrated VGA (shared memory) and sound for under $45 new. U can also check out with Ralf Hutter about the TUSLC-2. Asus TUSLC2 is a very good board. U'll have to add a VGA card though.

You can get some real good deals on ebay although make sure you know what you are getting before you bid. My friend has a TISU and he has a 1.2Ghz Pentium /// which he has overclocked and he gets freeze ups with beeps when he tries to play certain games. For my pentium /// I use an Asus CUV4X. It does not have onboard video but there are version that have onboard sound. You can find one of these on ebay for like 20 bucks and you can buy a small little GeForce2 with it for cheap also. That's what I would do if I was in your case. Just be carefull!

Back