• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dangerous vagp...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

at what voltage does vagp start to become 'dangerous'? Of course, vagp also controls the chipset's voltage...

Thanks

That is a great question. I have been wondering about this also, but I haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone know any numbers for when vAGP can negatively affect the vid card. I have an AIW 9700 pro and it is the single most expensive component in my system. I don't want to mess it up.

Skeetman

I've read that 1.7 wasn't 'too much', but I'd like to hear something more precise...

In some of the other threads I have read about people using 1.8 to increase their OC, but I'm like Mirko. I would like some more info also. I don't want to kill a ~400 dollar card for a few MHz.

Skeetman

Go here and read. It is quite fascinating, there is no definate answer, it all lies in testing your settings and not going for too much right away. Patience is a virtue.

fUzZ bUnNy said:
Go here and read. It is quite fascinating, there is no definate answer, it all lies in testing your settings and not going for too much right away. Patience is a virtue.

That is the SDNS thread, I searched through it but didn't see anything related to AGP voltage. Maybe I just didn't see it.

well....

as a general rule, dont excede %10 voltage increase. Most exectronic devices operate quite safely at %10 over volt as long as the power is clean and temperature is kept within tolerable ranges.

this is not a scientific law, but a good one to live by:

assume that any percent over power you supply(example 6%) also apply that negative percent to maximum thermal state (-%6)

so if default v is 1.5 and you run it at 1.59, and max thermal state is 130deg F at stock, dont let it excede 122deg F.

hope this helps, and as i said, this is not "law of physics" but good ideas to protect your exquipent from yourself :)

This is my experience:

As far as I have tested, increasing the voltage of AGP 1.5V only result marginal effect on overclocking GPU. It creates more stability when people overclock the card beyond 66MHz AGP level. Why marginal effect? because most recent VGA cards actually have built in voltage regulator to supply current & voltage to GPU. The downside, it makes the voltage regulator IC hotter due higher input voltage.

AGP 1.5V have no effect VGA DDR memory. DDR memory takes power from 3.3V lines through voltage regulator too.

My card is GF4 Ti4200 128mb overclock to 300/575. I test my card with 1.7V AGP, and it still crash when playing games. Ditto with 1.6V AGP. With open casing, I could play games safely even with 1.5V AGP.

asw7576 said:
This is my experience:

As far as I have tested, increasing the voltage of AGP 1.5V only result marginal effect on overclocking GPU. It creates more stability when people overclock the card beyond 66MHz AGP level. Why marginal effect? because most recent VGA cards actually have built in voltage regulator to supply current & voltage to GPU. The downside, it makes the voltage regulator IC hotter due higher input voltage.

AGP 1.5V have no effect VGA DDR memory. DDR memory takes power from 3.3V lines through voltage regulator too.

Thanks for your input. I haven't tried overclocking the AGP bus yet, I'll have to give that a try soon and see what it does. It's strange though because since I voltmodded my card, I have gotten results that can't be explained any other way. When I undo the voltmod, I can't OC worth anything.

I've heard people say that when you increase Vagp in bios, most cards will auto-regulate the voltage as you said. Maybe that's the problem. In my case I mod the actual card, and my multimeter shows that the voltmod "sticks" at 1.78 Volts all the time.

Also I know it makes no sense but the voltmod DOES affect my ram! Again I can't explain it but lots of testing proves it to me. I lost about 35-40 MHz ram OC when I undo the voltmod.

when you voltmoded the card you changed the volts going to the gpu and ram, when you adj the AGPv its just changeing the voltage of the signal/bus. what that does is give more stability when o/cd, or when agpv goes down under load. only testing your system can u determin wether you need to or not~RCTG

vagp can help because it feeds more voltage to the chipset; the video card part is pretty marginal, imo...

Well, this is my take on OCing. If you OC too far, or burn something out, that just means it's time to buy a better component! ie. burned your R9700 Pro out? Oh well, just get that R9800 Pro you've been wanting but didn't feel justified in buying... until now! :D

But really, the 10% rule is what I live by when it comes to anything but the CPU. With vCore, I don't exceed 1.7 on pentiums. That's my rule of thumb.

mmmm expensive way to see things :D
1.7 is still following the 10% rule... oh, actually 1.65 would...

Well, it's not like I actually TRY to burn stuff out. It's only happened once to me.

Had an XP2100+, and now I have a P4 running WAAAAY faster than I ever had the AMD running

Back