• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spread Spectrum 8INXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I was wondering if anybody knew how to disable spread spectrum on the 8INXP. There is no option to enable or disable it in the BIOS. Either I'm blind or don't know where to look :(. Thanks for your help.

From my understanding, spread spectrum controls the EMI emissions that your motherboard CPU clock gen produces. Since the clock gen of your CPU is oscillates at whatever speed your CPU is running at and at that frequency your motherboard can start giving out EM radiation. That's why cases, with the exception of the clear cases, are EM shielded. What spread spectrum does is reduce the amount of EM rad your mb produces, but can have affects on the signal integrity in the CPU and thus may limit your OC.

BTW, don't worry about the EM radiation, its not harmful.

I see. That sounds interesting. Do other boards allow it to be disabled? If it is possible, I would also try disabling it on my board. I have a Antec Plus 1080 case that is steel without any windows, so I wouldn't worry about it affecting me. But if you did disable it, would the EM radiation from the MB affect other components in your case?

Skeetman

I believe my TH7II-RAID had that option, its not up right now so I can't check, but I know that my Epox 8K7A+ has that option in the BIOS. As for it effecting other components, I'm not sure, but it shouldn't have any effect on your system components.

Back