• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a P4 setup for a LAN gaming machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satyrist

Hello,

With the tax refund I'll be getting this year, I'm looking to upgrade my current gaming rig:

AthlonXP1800+
ECS K7S5A rv3
GeForce3 Ti200
512MB Crucial CL2 SDRAM
TurtleBeach SantaCruz sound
Onboard 10/100 LAN
WD 60GB 7200 RPM 2MB HDD
Liteon 24x burner
3.5" rheobus
Chieftec clone of the antec sx600 case
350W Antec PS, 3 Panaflo H1A case fans connected to rheobus.

This one will be an Intel box, just seems a much more secure retention mechanism for the cpu, and the fact (I believe) that it will run cooler than the AMD will; I'll be looking to overclock, even if only moderately. :)

I know the big changes will be for the motherboard, cpu, and memory; What are decent choices that would be open to me for a good upgrade in this regard?

I am a bit new to the new northwood cpu's, I've been mostly running PIII and only a couple of Athlon XP-class boards in the past, I know that NForce2 offers dual-channel DDR memory support (even if the performance boost is marginal currently), is there similar support on the PIV side as well, and is it even worth considering?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Back