• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IT7 Temp problems..... :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcortz_2000

Howdy All,

I understand this has been brought up before but I am getting very frustrated.
I have heard and read from a lot of forums that Abit motherboards can over-read temps by quite a bit between 5-10celcius and I really need to know which is it.

I am using Volcano7+ AC3 and still I am slightly nervous.
I did not put to much ac3 and I have my fan speed at full...

Typing this with temps outside about 75+ degrees my room temps are close to that, web pages open, running prime95 torture... getting

40 C for motherboard temp and...
61.50 for cpu

Using Winbond Hardware Doctor ver 2.70...

1.58Volts for CPU, 2.68 for Ram and no voltage mod on Northbridge... :(

Now if my temps are off by 7-10celcius then I guess I am ok considering the oveclock on air...
If not then I dont know what....

Oh and I am using a Lian-Li pc65 side window with default fans that came with case...
2 in front and one in back..... with Enermax 430Watt PSU....

Please anyone with same board or experiences with this board etc... help will be greatly appreciated....

:( :( :(

Hello,

I had the opportunity to run my 2.0A ghz P4 on an epox 4g4a+ with the same water cooling setup and with a slightly higher vcore (since it undervolts).

From my personal experience, the different temps are off by 8C. On my 4g4a it reported temps of 35C and on my IT7 Max 2 v2.0 it reports back 43C.

I hope this helps,

-efini

efini said:
Hello,

I had the opportunity to run my 2.0A ghz P4 on an epox 4g4a+ with the same water cooling setup and with a slightly higher vcore (since it undervolts).

From my personal experience, the different temps are off by 8C. On my 4g4a it reported temps of 35C and on my IT7 Max 2 v2.0 it reports back 43C.

I hope this helps,

-efini

Thank you very much, this is exactly the type of answer i was looking for...:)

Must be to high. Ive seen my temps in the the high 60's before many times on the hottest summer days when testing with prime95. Since its cooled down outside my max temp on my cpu while playing ut2003 was 60c.
I was like you, getting ****ed about it. Now im getting passed caring about it. I have the same heatsink/fan as you but refuse to use anymore fan speed above 4000rpm because its simply has far to much noise. Over the last few days I have increased my vcore from 1.55 to 1.675, because before hand my system would crash during games sometimes. It has fixed it for now, I will soon see. There was about a 3-5c temp increase from doing this.
I think it was crashing before my voltage increase because the voltage would drop off alot and even dip way down for a split second or two. This is another so called common problem with these type of boards.
Just before I wrote this post, during half hour of UT2003 my new set 1.675 vcore would range in between 1.60 - 1.71v, thats just crazy. I know it is not my particular power supply since I tryed my other power supply out of my other machine and had the same exact result. But like I said its seems better at this higher vcore.
I really should be going down to 3ghz flat with 1.5 vcore like a conservative person would, this can lower temps by alot but I just cant help but have every last remaining mhz.
The way im looking at it now is I just take off 10c from whatever its reading, because im never gonna know what it actually is. A heat sensor I connected to the edge of the bottom of the heatsink read 11c lower than the cpu core temp, most of the time. The core will be hotter inside than compared with the heatsink.
Basically I don't give stuff about the temp anymore, as long as it doesn't crash, then its alright.
The only thing needed to worry about is maybe the cpu will slow down due to thermal throttling, if it takes its temps by the mainboards temps sensor. Who can be sure that every cpu really does this right on 69c like intel says it does.

Last edited:
microfire said:
Must be to high. Ive seen my temps in the the high 60's before many times on the hottest summer days when testing with prime95. Since its cooled down outside my max temp on my cpu while playing ut2003 was 60c.
I was like you, getting ****ed about it. Now im getting passed caring about it. I have the same heatsink/fan as you but refuse to use anymore fan speed above 4000rpm because its simply has far to much noise. Over the last few days I have increased my vcore from 1.55 to 1.675, because before hand my system would crash during games sometimes. It has fixed it for now, I will soon see. There was about a 3-5c temp increase from doing this.
I think it was crashing before my voltage increase because the voltage would drop off alot and even dip way down for a split second or two. This is another so called common problem with these type of boards.
Just before I wrote this post, during half hour of UT2003 my new set 1.675 vcore would range in between 1.60 - 1.71v, thats just crazy. I know it is not my particular power supply since I tryed my other power supply out of my other machine and had the same exact result. But like I said its seems better at this higher vcore.
I really should be going down to 3ghz flat with 1.5 vcore like a conservative person would, this can lower temps by alot but I just cant help but have every last remaining mhz.
The way im looking at it now is I just take off 10c from whatever its reading, because im never gonna know what it actually is. A heat sensor I connected to the edge of the bottom of the heatsink read 11c lower than the cpu core temp, most of the time. The core will be hotter inside than compared with the heatsink.
Basically I don't give stuff about the temp anymore, as long as it doesn't crash, then its alright.
The only thing needed to worry about is maybe the cpu will slow down due to thermal throttling, if it takes its temps by the mainboards temps sensor. Who can be sure that every cpu really does this right on 69c like intel says it does.

Thanks for the help.... :cool:
What should my thermal throttling be set to?

You should not have to set thermal throttling, the cpu shouldn't slow down, my one never has.

I'm running the same board as you guys. I find my board reports my cpu temp about 8°c higher than it really is (just like efini's does).

I've run both the IT7 and a Albatron PX845Pro (something like that), and the temps on the Albatron are 8-10 lower than the IT7. Add to that... the Albatron is currently air cooled while the IT7 was watercooled. Same components, only difference being the cooling. I switched to the Albatron after a water cooling scare when I thought I killed the Abit. The quirk about the Albatron... My system temps read higher than the CPU temps. If you switch them, then they're identical to my Abit temps. When first powering up I thought the temps were switched in the bios. I wrote Albatron, and they told me the temps are correct that it was due to a bad placement of the system temp sensor. I would imagine that I've hade more worries than you have on temps!

I read over at the abit forums that one person claimed the new DF bios fixed their high temps reading, weather or not this is ture, I don't know haven't tryed it yet, im still using the modded D6 punisher bios.
Its getting cold here and winters coming on fast. Its 10c outside and 21c in my room. I have been running prime95 for 12hours now at 3.07ghz - 1.475v - 3000rpm spark 7. My cpu temp now as im speaking is 53c.

I'm using that new DF bios right now... it didn't fix the problem for me. :(

My IT7Max2v2 (just updated with lastest bios from Abit) seems to report high temps too, I have a spark 7 cooler and have replaced the fan with a Y.S. TECH Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan spinning at 5700 RPM (but suprisingly very quiet compared to the fan that was on it) the heatsink is cold to the touch after leaving 3dmark looping for an hour but temps still get reported as 55degrees, its nice to hear the motherboard is reporting them inaccurately though :) I have a P4 2.66 running at 3.17 with 1.575 volts so i guess the mobo reporting 44 degree at idles and 55 at full load isn't bad? :) (guessing they should be about 36 and 47 give or take a few degrees from what other people are reporting)

Back