• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REMOVING THE NB fan ?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

The NB fan on my 8INXP has become a bit loud and im trying to get the number of fans in my system as low as possible.

After prolonged use the heatsink on teh NB feels pretty hot ..... do you reckonm it will be okay to remove this fan. I cant tell teh temperatture of the MoBoard... theres a sensor that read 25 degress but it never changes so i dont reckon thats it,

My cpu is OC'd 24/7 at aroudn 3.5ghz.... will i be safe or should i water cool teh NB ?

regards

Rich

if there is a fan on the NB and its warm to the touch then i think its a very bad idea to take it off and not put a new fan on it. i'd try to find a new quieter fan or run it off less votage. i've gotten any where from 24v to 3.3 from a regular PSU~RCTG

DON'T TAKE IT OFF!!!

If your heatsink is already feeling hot, that means the fan isn't doing a good job of cooling it in the first place! The most I'd recommend is getting another NB HSF combo, but I'm pretty sure that the aftermarket fans are louder that anything that'll come from the manufacturer.

If you want to passively cool the northbridge chip, then install a more massive heatsink onto that puppy. Like maybe modify a P-III heatsink and attach it with Arctic Silver/Alumina epoxy. Watercooling it would be another option or maybe finding a better chipset cooler with a quieter fan.

Back