• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VariablePC peltier controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe_Atlanta

With spring heating up in GA, I once again am looking at dropping a hundred mhz off my overclock as ambients rise. And once again, I'm looking at alternatives to aircooling.

I found a reference to the VariablePc controller in one of the threads here and did a search. I can't find much info beyond a few mentions and this old article:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles424/

Anybody had more recent experience to report?

Hi,
I have never seen anyone post about these units except me.
I have received emails and pms from time to time asking if they are worth the money. That is hard to say, when I looked for an alternative there wasn't one that was near the same price, handled as much power or was small enough to hide in the case.
At any rate I use two of them in a water chiller and regardless of the air temp or cpu useage my water stays at the set temp (20 works best for me) +/- 1.5. With the exact same setup but with an xp1600 (I'm currently using a 2400) my temps would vary 1 degree so I guess the extra heat load takes a bit longer to stabilize and the increased .5 degree swing is and over/under shoot. I dunno....I used to set the water at 10 under ambient air but that was too close for my comfort level, I found sweaty hoses every now and then...so now I leave it at 8 under.
my chiller is here
wj

Thanks very much for the info wj. That's very nice rig, BTW.

I dunno, I guess price scares some folks off. I also guess if folks are going peltier, they go ahead and go for the full effect. Myself, I'll give up the subfreezing temps if I don't have to deal with condensation.

BTW, the remote water cooling unit (the one you say looks like a subwoofer), resembles the Techcool 2200. How do you like it? Worthwhile as a standalone solution?

I just hate gooping up everything in order to prevent condensation.
The sub woofer is an early techcool unit. It works just fine, I use it to cool down the hot side of the chiller's pelts.
wj

Back