• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best of the best for a consumer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abiagi

Alright anyone who's out there that knows.....I'm looking to build a system. I'd like some advice on what components you would get if money weren't an issue. I'm talking about desktop PC's with XP, or 2k or whatever with a P4. For the rest I'm open to suggestions.

On a different note....What does anyone think about the Intel Motherboard with 533/800FSB? Would that be something worth getting? I've heard good things about intel and I know they have good support.

Alright let's hear what you think. I want to hear anything on what you think is the best mobo, vid card, sound, processor....etc.

Thanks in advance

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS abiagi. The Intel board offers no overclocking features. You might consider a different board manufacturer that still uses the intel chipset, like asus or abit or one of several others. If money wasn't an issue I would look for a 800fsb, dual channel DDR board.

heh, well its pretty hard to figure out what you want. I could easily spend 40,000$ on a machine if money was no object.

quad xeons, solid state drives, quad 20 inch lcd's ........get the picture?

If i were building one right now though

full tower chieftec $62.00
433W enermax Power supply $110.00
Gigabyte GA-8INXP $200.00
2.66 $225.00
512DDR433 $280.00
ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB $350.00

(2) 120 gig WD on RAID $260.00
(1) 120 gig for OS $130.00
Sony $13.00
dvd $40.00
Lite On 48x12x48 $60.00
integrated
Windows XP home $90.00
MICROSOFT OFFICE KEYBOARD $30.00
logitech Wireless Intellimouse $70.00

grand total of 1900$.......complete with 360gigs of space, 1 gig of ram, kickass video, nice ps I personally wouldn't invest in the 800bus processors just yet

Right on!

I really value you guys' opinions because you might actually know what the hell you're talking about and I really appreciate it. This site kicks ***.

I see the logic in not buying the first of anything as "they" have not diagnosed bugs. So thank you for that advice. It confirms alot of what I thought but wasn't sure of.

So tell me this, does the Gigabyte board you mentioned support HT. How is the overclocking ability? I think I'm leaning more toward a 533FSB anyway.

Keep it coming everyone.

abiagi, what do you want this rig to do? workstation, home, server, gaming or the pure joy of just overclocking? zabomb recommended a good workstation platform that can double as a gaming platform, that mobo supports hyperthreading, dual channel DDR and ecc ram. Why not go for the 800fsb also? You can still use a cheaper 400fsb cpu. However check the other threads on this before you make a choice. I think it gives you a much larger base to build on, just my dos centavos worth. On a side note, zabomb where can I get xp for $90 us and no I am not being sarcastic.

Last edited:
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614

its 92.50 oh well, i estimated 2.50 under

reason i didn't mention a 800bus motherboard is because the cheapest ive seen is 260$ for a motherboard that doesn't have as much features as the one i listed. thats 60$ i would put towards a nice sound card and good speakers.

its already 1900 for the box not including monitor, thats my absolute max for any box. oh well, some of us just have different opinions on how much money should be spent.

GJuan....I'm looking for an environment capable of handling large video files relatively easily. Plenty of memory. Haven't decided on the OS, but probably XP Pro. Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down. How bout the Asus boards, in particular the P4C800 Deluxe I875P Sk478 533/800FSB ? Any opinions?

That is the one I plan on getting myself. However I'm going to wait two or three weeks, to make sure there are no major issues with it. On a side note I did find winxp home for 99$, pro 199$ at best buy.

Back