• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aibt Raid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNEWB

It7 Max V1

So I bought my self an Abit a while ago......... then i should have chucked it in the garbage! :mad: No no just kidding, but..... Here goes.

I had two 30Gb hard drives back in the day, well, no matter how hard I tried I could seem to be able to boot off the RAID array. So I gave my sister one 30 and kept the other for Music and DL crap. For some odd reason I thought i would try RAID again as I'm getting rid of my Seagate SCSI cause its only 9gb.

SO.. i bought two WD80Gb JB's. Set up raid, installed all my games on the array and copied all the stuff from the 30Gb music drive to the array. :eek: that was a mistake.

When I play games now, and click on save, doesnt matter what game, my computer makes a screeeching noise through the speakers. When I use stuff like Kazaa, and the program is storing data on to the array the computer keeps pausing (100% CPU Useage) for a few seconds. The same thing with doing any network activities involving RAID.

You guys know the layout of the Origional IT7, it has 4 RAID channels, im using the one at the top and the third one, both hard drives are on their own cables, both set as masters.

Is there anything I can do with this or should i just not use RAID?

I beg of you be merciful and help as I spent more then 5 days trying to work this out.

Thanks in Advance,

Maverick

Hey, I know how you feel.
Ive been right through all that crap already.
That crap noise bringing your system down to its knees.
So much for being a four channel controller. Well it actually works but your gonna have to get rid of your soundcard altogether and run the onboard sound. That was the only way it will work. Then you be able to full load the raid controller with drives.
There is another way. You could do what im doing and run a single raid array on the same controller. Put both drives on either connector 1 and 2 or both drives on 3 and 4. By the look of it, you said you using connector 1 and 3, that would mean your using both of raid controller channels.

Im sure that it like this:
connector 1 = raid controller 1
connector 2 = raid controller 1
connector 3 = raid controller 2
connector 4 = raid controller 2

I spent a week or two looking for a solution so I could use 3 or 4 drives at once on the raid controller while my soundcard in the system. Theres no bios or driver that can fix that one. I think its a full on hardware problem since ghosting in dos becomes very slow. Not only that my disk performance will be down by heaps when using more than 2 drives.
If I try and put anymore drives on than the 2 I have, it just gets that crazy noise crap going while in windows.

Try what I said and see how you go. Then it will be fine. Make sure you use the latest raid xp driver or otherwise sometimes your hear a very faint crackle/static noise when heavy disk access occurs if listening to a mp3. Shouldn't bother you then.

Last edited:
DUDE!!

You rock man, after all that stress all i had to do was move ****za over one controller! :D :) ;)

Thank you soo much.

Kam

Back