• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4G8X Deluxe DSL through USB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bratchneydog

Registered
I just got hooked up with some wamptastic DSL the other day, but I encountered a problem. The DSL modem can be connected to the computer through USB or ENET. I would like to have it hooked up through USB until I get a DSL router. The reason is, I have my main computer directly networked to my "music server" other computer.

The USB connection doesn't work, but the ENET works fine. For some reason the SpeedStream modem powers on and off over and over when I try to connect through USB.

I'm guessing it's probably a bios misconfiguration, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any ideas???

Nah, the only thing that you BIOS controls is basically power to the USBs and USB support under DOS. I had problems trying to run my cable modem on USB, but ethernet is really a much more stable and robust method of network communications. You should really just use the ethernet port. That's what its there for. As far as your "music server" goes, try installing a second NIC. That's more likely to solve your problem than anything else. If you have onboard ethernet, hook the DSL up to that, as it's likely to be the most stable, unless you have an awesome card like 3com or linksys. WinXP handles multiple ethernet cards really well, and I'm fairly certain Win2k will tolerate it as well. I've heard reports of Win98 being rather finicky with it though.

I have that board and a hm120dp ericsson dsl usb modem. it works just fine, both in linux and in windows...
you might need to install the usb 2.0 drivers if you don't have sp1...

yeah, i'm going to go buy an 8 port dsl router this weekend. that was my intention anyway.

Back