• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low end peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryuen

i posted in the general cooling, but they said to post here. im kind of new to TECs. i understand faintly how they work. i was going to water but it was a bit expensive. i was wondering if i could get a quiet solution AIR cooled pelt. ive heard ull need a high cfm fan = loud because you need to cool the hot side.

is it possible to get it quiet? like a 37cfm fan? i think im pushing it because ive only seen like tornado styled.

if thats possible ive got more questions:D

*edit*
also forgot to tell you if this is any help. ill prob go low end (as title says) because i dont need 15C temps or anything super low. i jus want low temperatures to avoid too many fans. maybe around wat water can achive?

I'm interested in kinda the same thing, except with water. I don't think you can accomplish what you want to do on the cheap. You'll probably be better off with a Slk-800 or 900 with a panaflo H (32db) fan. With that reasonably quiet fan either sink can handle some pretty good overclocks (I ran a xp1600 at 1.875vcore for 9 months, folding 24/7 with a SLK-800 and a panaflo H).

The thing is that the heat still has to go somewhere, the pelt doesn't make it magically disappear. In fact, the way I understand it, the tec actually adds heat as it transfers it from the coldside to hotside, so you end up needing more cooling (ie louder fans). See this thread for more info.

Finally, to control a pelt so that it just "helps" with the cooling, you have to be able to dial in the voltage either with a variable output power supply, or an electronic one like the VariablePc controller. Or you can get a package like the Thermaltake SubZeroG. Either way you go takes you into the same money level as a good water cooling setup.

i was going to water but it was a bit expensive[/B]

check this out

water block 25-50
tubing 5-10
heater core 15-20
fans 10-20
pump 15-25
mis 5-10
water system 75-135

tec 25-35
tec psu 60-70

adding the tec 85-105

whole setup around 160-240

Last edited:
Go with watercooling, trying to air-cool a TEC is hopeless, trust me I tired...

if i go pelt, is there a way i can get a weak pelt so i can keep temps above condensation temperatures? so i dont have to worry? i dont need extreme power.

ryuen said:
if i go pelt, is there a way i can get a weak pelt so i can keep temps above condensation temperatures? so i dont have to worry? i dont need extreme power.

hi there:)

well check this out by Tecumseh

If you want to get technical then here is an old chart I did
which shows exactly how much you can get away with.

CoPoint.jpg

The colored lines are Relative Humidity. Say the RH of your room was 50% and the temperature was 25°C, then you
can see that parts of your rig can be about 11°C below
ambient before condensation can form or 14°C.

good luck;)

how about pelt wattage power? i live in California, few miles from the beach.

Back