• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1,1-Difluroethane as a coolent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwb27

For those who don't know this is the fluid used in 'canned air'.

I'm curious if anyone has attempted filling a system with this fluid. Or if this concept will even work.

well it might- work in kinda short term use, but i dont know how well it compresses and such or even if you can use a normal refrigerent compressor with it.

Frankly, Im sure it would be used as a common refrigerant if it were practical. Cool idea tho.

you would have to look into its thermal properties, its viscosity, its heat capacity, evaporation rate, and so on. there is a lot of work in looking into new liquids, this however can pay off sometimes if you find something really nice. do a search in the forums on different liquids, you can find a set of charts put together by one of the members. you could look up "plagurism" or somehting. someone took the charts and set them up on a website and didnt give any credit thats why the plagurism topic may work.

Isn't this all very high pressure stuff. They use pressure to maintain is liquid state in a can. If so, the pressure would not certainly break things (rad, pump seals...)

BrianH2O said:
Isn't this all very high pressure stuff. They use pressure to maintain is liquid state in a can. If so, the pressure would not certainly break things (rad, pump seals...)

It's not high pressure at all. I filled a small cup with stuff last night (my inspiration for posting this).

Intially it evaporated very quickly, but as soon as the cup cooled off the evaporation was so slow I couldn't even see it happening, but I knew it was obviously there. I was able to keep about 2 tablespoons of it for about 20 minutes in open air. Wanted to try a few more experiments with it but I wasn't in the mood to be wasteful. :)

well is it a coolant use in phase change systems? if so i wont leak it is all brazed shut. however i am still not sure on what type of cooling you are looking to do with this i dont even know what it is. ill do a little research right now and post again in a few...

sure in open air itll sit for a little bit, but when you try to stick it on a cpu, itll boil like crazy, wich then will evaporate.... Its probably something that could be fun... another fun thing would be to take crushed ice, and salt, mix it and after a while itll make some goopy slushy stuff that gets down to -15c or so:) its real cool...

Back