• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b to peltiers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

okay, I wanna jump into the world of peltiers, and this is my knowledge base

it works on one side hot, one side cold, so you cool the hot side, and the cold side cools the cpu

beyond that, I'm lost, aka

power, how do you power it, where do I plug it in, that kinda thing...?

and how do I seal it 'cause I know condensation starts to become an issue. any links to sites would be nice, thanx

MLMIB said:
okay, I wanna jump into the world of peltiers, and this is my knowledge base

it works on one side hot, one side cold, so you cool the hot side, and the cold side cools the cpu

beyond that, I'm lost, aka

power, how do you power it, where do I plug it in, that kinda thing...?

and how do I seal it 'cause I know condensation starts to become an issue. any links to sites would be nice, thanx

When current is fed into a peltier device (AKA ThermoElectric Cooler, or TEC), the device creates a temperature differential. It acts as a heat pump - energy is moved from one side of the device to the other. This creates the effect that one side of the TEC gets cold and the other side gets hot.

TEC's in PC applications are powered by power supplies. Sometimes you can run a TEC off of your PC power supply, but often times you need a dedicated power supply. Here is an example of peltiers used in PC's and a dedicated power supply for a TEC: http://dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/peltiers.asp

How do you know what power supply you need for a certain pelt? You look at Vmax and Imax. Vmax = voltage maximum in volts;Imax = current maximum in amps. When you are looking at a peltier to use, these values will be listed, as you can see in the link I provided. Vmax is the maximum amount of voltage you can give the peltier without destroying it. Imax is the current the peltier will draw when powered at Vmax. For example, if you power the 226 watt TEC on the dangerden site with ~15 volts, it will draw ~24 amps. If you would power the pelt with ~12 volts, it will draw closer to ~20 amps - and there are equations you can find to figure out how many amps will be drawn at a certain voltage. Now that this is clear, all you need to do is find a power supply that is rated to supply ~25 amps on its 15 volt line, or ~20 amps on its 12 volt line, and so on... find a power supply that can give sufficient current (amperage) at whatever voltage you would like to give the pelt. Notice that the meanwell psu supplies the correct current and voltage needed for the TEC's requirements.

[I specifically mentioned 15 volts and 12 volts because those are typical voltages people use to power the 226 watt TEC which is the only real choice for a modern OC'd cpu. Rule of thumb: 2(processor heat output) = (minimum wattage of TEC needed to cool processor).]

How do you get the power from the power supply to the TEC? The TEC typically has two short wires. You will need to get the appropriate gauge wire in order to connect those wires to the power supply. I'm not sure on the specifics here or if it's the same for most power supplies.

Insulation:
originally posted by imog
Insulating your rig is really not a very large obstacle. Plan to insulate during a time when you have no other plans and will not be rushed for any reason, and getting it right will be easy.

Supplies:
You need neoprene, dielectric grease. and silicon.

Procedure: fill part of the inside of the socket with dielectric grease. insert a pad of neoprene on top of that to fill most of the area, top off inside socket with dielectric grease. cover back of die area on chip with dielectric grease. insulate the pins with dielectric grease (in holes of socket). cut neoprene to fit pretty snugly around socket. use silicone to adhere it to mobo. fill any gaps between neoprene and socket/mobo with dielectric grease, leave no air. put waterblock on and do the same around that as you did with the socket, leaving no air inside neoprene. leave no pathway, no matter how small, for air to travel from the case to inside the neoprene. take dielectric grease and cover the back of the mobo corresponding to the socket. take a pad of neoprene and adhere it to the mobo over the dielectric grease. leave no gaps for air. be VERY liberal with dielectric grease through the whole process. You shouldn't have any problems if you take your time. that's it. unless i oversited something. :D

Remember the search button is your friend. :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Hope that helps. More questions? Fire away.

wow, a quote within a quote, hehe

also, read that, and it makes sense, sorta kinda, but are their any sites, 'cause half of that just went over my head as far as appling it.

thanks colin, I am saving all of those links! I had looked at many of those articles in the past but had lost the addresses.

Back