• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH7 northbridge heatsink fell off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sk-

Yup the title says it all.

While browsing the forums I heard a little pop and i looked into my case and saw the northbridge heatsink laying on my video card.

yes WTF>... the metal round thing on the motherboard poped off. So now should I return the motherboard or epoxy the heatsink back on the motherboard? I dont have any epoxy but I can purchase some.

damn, just placed a order for epoxy. But anyways I cant wait two weeks for a replacement.

I need something now and I hope the epoxy will do.

Ya I hope so, I literally just got this motherboard aswell. Like two weeks ago heheh and I couldnt believe this happened so soon.

the round circle thing that is on the motherboard holding the metal clip popped off.

I herd this is a common problem but I lost some of my respect for Abit because of this. I mean brand new motherboard (2 weeks old ) and the northbridge heatsink fell on my video card. Luckily that is working

lemme ask you guys.

If I put epoxy on the northbridge heatsink, will that cause any problems? Problems with overclockerbility or stock stability?.

I was going to put four little drops on the corners of the heatsink and AS3 in the middle but today I found out the northbridge chip has a little bump in the middle so I cant use the epoxy on the four edges of the heatsink.

I hope epoxy wont cause any problems.

sk- said:
lemme ask you guys.

If I put epoxy on the northbridge heatsink, will that cause any problems? Problems with overclockerbility or stock stability?.

I was going to put four little drops on the corners of the heatsink and AS3 in the middle but today I found out the northbridge chip has a little bump in the middle so I cant use the epoxy on the four edges of the heatsink.

I hope epoxy wont cause any problems.

Epoxy should be strong enough to hold most smallish aluminium NB heatsinks in place. The bond is pretty permanent, but using it will not cause operating problems unless you spill it over live traces/pins.

Oh that small northbridge heatsink has fallen on my video card already. Thankfully nothing happened.

Right now comp is running fine with the epoxied NB heatsink :)

Thanks guys

I was thinking of getting this board. Would it be worthwhile to have a small fan cooling the northbridge chip? How do you like this board?

Great board for the money! Just keep an eye on that NB cooler :)

I have a little 40mm fan on mine because I could barely touch it @ 195fsb and after the fan I can touch it no problem so I assume it's running cooler?

the BH7 is awesome. Very stable and overclocks like a champ.

YOu cant beat the price either. The NB heatsink was only a minor setback, nothing a little epoxy cant fix ;)

Can you mount a Vantec Iceberg Cooler on the Northbridge? Do you need to epoxy it on? Thanks

tuzzi said:
Can you mount a Vantec Iceberg Cooler on the Northbridge? Do you need to epoxy it on? Thanks

There are no mounting holes on the mobo for chipset coolers, that's the biggest problem. You'll have to use epoxy.

Originally posted by floben
I'm getting my BH7 today, should I just go ahead and epoxy the heatsink on the northbridge B-4 I install it?
I'd leave it alone unless it fails. Lets not be too paranoid. It could void your warranty for other issues if you go and epoxy it for no reason.

Hmm.. I just got this mobo, but haven't put it in yet - waiting for $$$ to get a 2.4B and dissassemble my WC setup.

I'll have to inspect it a bit closer. Sounds like either the solder joints holding that clip in the board are weak/not done properly, or the wire clip on the heatsink is over-tensioned. A little bending can easily fix that, if it's the solder joints, well, I can re-solder those :D

Back