• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do i get cheap Vapo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Build your own. Much better than any retail one and cheaper. Most expencive part will be the compressor. WOudl do it but dont have teh money lying around and woudl prefer a P4 to Phasechange

Yup, build your own is the only method that would even approach cheap.

It all depends on what tools you have, and what tools you will need.

The parts by themselves can be had for a little over $100 by a savy ebayer.

The problem is, you will probably have to buy refrigeration gauges, a vacum pump, a brazing/welding tool.

I am in the process of making a home made system, fortunatly, one of the teachers at my school (the computer teacher of all people) is a skilled HVAC guy and has most of the tools. :D

condensor
evaporator
compressor (1/4 hp and up would work fine)
about 10' of copper pipe, 1/4" and 3/8" stuff work good
copper brazing rods
mapp gas torch
vacuum pump helps but not required
filter/dryer
capillary tube
guages help but not required
access valve also none as schrader valves or fill ports.

Go to www.phase-change.com and read through the beginner guide by Bowman... It will give you an idea of what you will be getting into. This is a direct link, but you should also look at the main page to see what else they offer - Every article there is good and very informative: http://www.phase-change.com/index.php?action=Articles_page&cat=Articles&id=21&page=1
That article is as simple as phase change cooling gets, it is the absolute best place to start when you have no clue where to start.

You are going to have to do a bit of indepent thinking to get this right, so you would do good to start practicing by looking some of these parts up on google or ebay if the articles at phase-change.com don't explain them well enough, but they should be plenty to give you an idea.

The prometia and vapochill are very reasonably priced when considering the time, technical skill, and HVAC knowledge that goes into building a phase change cooler yourself. Unless you want to build it yourself for fun or to pass spare time, the time it would take most people to build a phase change cooler is much more expensive than the cost of a prometia and vapochill.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say its very time consuming, I bet a average person could get the whole thing built in a day if he had the right equipment and all the parts already, may not look great or tweaked but it would get the job done. For me the hardest part of making mine has been getting the dang thing vacuumed out, I cant get a vacuum pump if my life depended on it.:mad:

as for picking up the parts, you can try your yellow pages for refrigeration supply stores. You can also get everything you need at rparts.com.

You should look at getting a compressor off ebay. I know one guy has been selling AC compressors for $25 plus like $25 for shipping but mine didnt come with a run capacitor so thats another $15. The thing is the bigger the compressor the louder it will be but the better temps you will get at the end, I would look for some 1000 btu to maybe 6000 btu compressors, those shouldnt be too loud.

well

I know nothing about vapochill...but the thought of building one for $100, as mentioned above, is unreal.

At this cost, wouldn't it look cumbersome?? I wouldn't have the room, as some home made pictures indicate.

Where can I get all the parts that I would need? a common place? The vapochill case shown here with all its internal parts look quite compact.

PIC

Can I do this for less than $519 shown here? put all the parts maybe in a full tower chieftec case?

Well, like i said- $100 is if you have all tools (and get good deals on ebay)

Compressors= around $30 + $30 shipping
Condensors= $10 + $5 shipping
Hoses, valves= around $20
Add another $10 for misc.

If you get a nice big case, you could fit it all the parts into it. It would be no bigger than the original vapo. One thing to keep in mind is that it wouldnt be regulated like a vapo- i.e. you would need to install a temp monitor that would work when the comptuer wasnt running and manually prechill.

Back