• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Board ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gogeta_787

Registered
ok guys, i have narrowed my list of possible motherboards down to a few. when choosing please consider both price and performance. Also a brief explaination of y u choose that board would be greatly appreicated.

*NOTE- all are canadian funds*

ABIT® BH7, Intel® 845pe..................$139.00
ABIT® BE7, Intel® 845pe..................$144.00
ABIT® IT7-Max2 2.0, Intel® 845PE....$249.00
AOpen® AX4PER, Intel® 845pe.........$132.00
Asus® P4PE-Lan, Intel® i845PE........$169.00

Anywazy those r the boards, notice they r all 845PE boards, should i get the newer e7205 ? how does that work ?

anywayz thanks for helping me, bye

the bh7 is a speed demon, with the new mb's(springdale) coming out its not worth gettin a high end 845 board. in fact u might wanna wait a week or two cause it looks like the springdale's are gonna be reasonably priced

I have to agree. Unless you can get a smoking deal on a 845PE board you really want, it would be smart to see the pricing and performance of the Canterwoods.

The 7205/Granite Bay boards are dead for all practical purposes. They were good boards, but they are being replaced by the 875 Springdale boards which also look very good and have better features.

Right now you might be asking what is the difference between the 875 Springdale and 865PE Canterwood boards? I think the most important answer is $50-100 (US). The 875 is intended to be a workstation and small server board. For those roles it supports ECC-DDR memory, and has a "Turbo" feature no one I've read seems to understand or see a benefit in.

The 865PE is the replacement for the 845PE and will be a desktop and enthusiast chipset. It won't support ECC, but it will have D-DDR400 native memory support, 800MHz FSB, S-ATA support in the northbridge, and it can be made available with Intel's onboard RAID0,1 controller. (That's up to the board makers.)

The price of the 865PE looks like it will be very close to the recommended prices for 845PE boards. The initial street price will be higher, but I expect it to settle down to current 845PE levels within a couple of months.

BHD

Back