• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A general ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Y.E

Hi All,

Im not new to overclocking but im new to intel overclocking so please bare with me ......

Since intel has cpus that run at 533 fsb does that mean that the motherboard is also running at that fsb? Also what is the default fsb for most p4?

Im aware that the only overclocking for intel is fsb overclocking (correct me if im wrong) so are the pci and agp speeds locked on all intel mobos? (for example they are only locked on nforce mobos for amd)

Thanx for your help in advance

the 533mhz bus is the system bus (133mhz) times 4 in the processor to yeild a 533mhz cpu bus. (called quad pumping)

the more you up the fsb you increase the the processor bus by 4 times that.

which is why the new boards are 800mhz cpu bus when running at 200fsb.

the default bus is all over the place. for northwood 'a' chips its 100mhz (400mhz quad pumped) for northwood 'b' chips its 133mhz (533mhz quad pumped) for northwood D1 stepping chips it is 200mhz (800mhz quad pumped)

ok i get it thanx but what about pci speeds are they locked?

Y.E said:
ok i get it thanx but what about pci speeds are they locked?
no. when you up the fsb your pci and agp speeds go with it.

your board has what we call dividers which will keep them in spec though.

pci is usually ok up to about 40mhz agp i've seen as high as 85mhz but i would suggest trying to keep it as close to 33 and 66 as possible.

some motherboards have options to lock the fsb at those default speeds leaving you free to throw the fsb wherever you want with no worries about if the lan card or ti4200 can take it.

ok thanx, so which intel mobos provide a lock for the pci (example AMD nforce2) or provide a 1/6 divider so you can hit 200fsb(200/6 = 33)

Y.E said:
ok thanx, so which intel mobos provide a lock for the pci (example AMD nforce2) or provide a 1/6 divider so you can hit 200fsb(200/6 = 33)
depends.. my abit BD7II does but not all 845's do.

all the springdale and canterwood and granite bay boards do. before those.. its really up to the mobo maker.

Back