• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will the i845 support 800mhz FBS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camper

Ihi, I have purched a MSI 845PE MAX (533).
I'm thinking of an exchange the mobo to the i875 if the 845 chipsets will not support 800 mhz FBS later on.
thanks

2.4B
MSI 845PE max
512 2700 cheap crap
gf4ti4200

old comp:
AMD900 socketA
Gigabyte 7ZX rev1 (no XP, OC support)
512 pc133
Visiontek GF2ti (the GPU fan was fried)

the Abit BH7 is the only 845PE chipset that i know of that is certified 200fsb.

there could be more i just haven't looked into them that much.

the albatron and abit 845pe chipsets unofficially support 800fsb, so its gotta be OCed to do it.

it says so in they're website, not sure about the epox though

The 845PE chipset can be overclocked to 800MHz. But its up to the individual motherboard makers to support this feature or not.

BIOS options are part of it, of course, but the board will also have to use high quality components overall to successfully and consistently run at 200FSB speeds. This is where I think a couple of manufacturers are going to have problems, and MSI is one of the brands that comes to mind.

You might want to wait a few weeks to see how the 865PE boards shake out before you order an 875. From what I've seen there should be very little difference in the overclocking ability of the 865 and 875 chipsets, but there is going to be a pretty big difference in price. If you're looking to buy a Northwood C (800) chip you probably want to pair it with an 865 or 875 board for the best performance.

BHD

my gigabyte 8PE667 goes all the way upto 300 something FSB, so I know it supports it, but I just don't know if the chipset will handle it. I know my current CPU won't handle anything above 180 on air, so I'm not entirely sure that I could get there, but I have some confidence that with a chip that will actually run at 200 default, I could possibly do it :D

Amino said:
my gigabyte 8PE667 goes all the way upto 300 something FSB, so I know it supports it, but I just don't know if the chipset will handle it. I know my current CPU won't handle anything above 180 on air, so I'm not entirely sure that I could get there, but I have some confidence that with a chip that will actually run at 200 default, I could possibly do it :D
support means the manufacturer says it will run at that speed and will stand behind it.

a board having frequency adjustment up to 300fsb does not mean it is 300mhz supported.

Back