• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinMgmt.exe Problems...I need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thlnk3r

I'm recieving this error message in Win2k after I boot up my computer.

"WinMgt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

A error log is being created."

Below are the following error messages I receive in the even viewer:

"The Windows Management Instrumentation service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service. "
Event ID: 7031

"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service WinMgmt with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} "
Event ID: 10005

I went to eventid.net and searched for this information but the results I received were completely chinese to me (i didnt understand them).

If anyone out there can help me out, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

Update: I might add that this occured after executed a soft reboot (the login prompt locked up on me so I had to hit the restart button), if win2k wasnt properly shutdown, then at startup it will do a "scandisk sorta thing". After that was done and I logged in, that error message above popped up. btw i have a fat32 file system.

Last edited:
There's a couple of things you may want to try. Both of the following commands will need to be run from a command prompt...Start | Run | Type cmd and hit OK.

Try to dredge the computer's performance libraries by using the following command...

winmgmt /clearadap

This command clears all WMI-related values from the service's performance registry key...

winmgmt /resyncperf "winmgmt service pid"

For more command line options that are available with WMI, you can use the /? switch...

winmgmt /? ;)

Back