• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello all, back again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Have had a few people asking what I am up to so thought I would post what has been up with me. Was working in Alabama and coming home to Atlanta, GA on the weekends to be with the family. The wife took a trip to Mexico in late December so financially there was not much I could do and with spending time with the family and all there was just not time for Overclockers.com.

I am now working back in Atlanta again and the family is of course in much better shape as a result. As for overclocking, well, this is never far from my thoughts. Latest venture is in the works. I am working on an 8rda motherboard. I have modded the vdd to get 1.84v. Last night I insulated the cpu socket both front and back and will finish the socket tommorow. Tonight I did the vbat mod as well as the vdimm mods to the board and dissassembled the dual verticle tecs and made some small mods. I will be running dual feed lines on the electrical to the tecs. I expect a little more performance from the tecs though small due to less line resistance. The waterblock 1/4 inch feed lines are changed to 3/8 on both infeed and outfeed. Insulation (started tonight) is (or at least should be) better than the prior setup. Ram is Corsair XMS 3500 (cas2). Cpu will be an xp2700 which I have on hand. Completely seperate loops will be run on each tec waterblock and run through a bong cooler. The splitting of the bongs will happen after system integrity is assured. Realize that starting this system up is a little hairy. Water leakage (checked immediately), cpu temp(checked immediately, vdimm and vbat voltages must be checked as soon as possible, etc. However once all is up it should be pretty much normal on all future startups. The prior setup was good enough to bench relatively close to Opps promethia however he has made some rather dramatic advances so we shall see. I believe he is pushing right around 2.9Ghz right now and I am crossing what fingers I have that this will pull right around 2.8Ghz. We shall see. As far as fsb is concerned, I am looking for around 235. Again, we shall see, heck it may not even fire up (have had this happen before). Am undecided as to what vid card to put in it however after having Maxvla bring me to my senses, it would be rather foolish to buy an 9800 at this time so possible a flavor of 9700?

At any rate, this is the state of things as of tonight. Need to get some more silicone tommorow.

Btw, for those on limited finances, the cloth can be removed rather easily from a mouse pad by means of ironing it prior and during its' removal from the pad. Also, closed cell weatherstrip type foam stripping can be purchased from most hardware stores. Make sure it says closed cell and don't ask the salesman as most will have not idea what you are talking about. It comes in rolls and is self adhesive. The thin version can be used between the cold plate and the processor as long as you prefit and make sure the cold plate is snug against the processor.

As ussual(sp?), best to all and have fun.:)

good luck, I really wanted to use my 8rda but is sucking As*, it can't even do 200 with vdd mod, I just will stick with an a7n8x that can't do 335 easily, well good luck on your project and as soon as you can post some pics, well and for insulations I couldn't get sheets so I just grap some pipe insulations and I will just force it flat:D , oh well, take care and welcome back:)

N

nunez1980 said:
good luck, I really wanted to use my 8rda but is sucking As*, it can't even do 200 with vdd mod, I just will stick with an a7n8x that can't do 335 easily, well good luck on your project and as soon as you can post some pics, well and for insulations I couldn't get sheets so I just grap some pipe insulations and I will just force it flat:D , oh well, take care and welcome back:)

N

mouse pads work really well for insulating.

"I just will stick with an a7n8x that can't do 335 easily"

lol, I mean it can do 235 easily:D

also I'm hearing about using mouse pads lately, but once some one said that they were to cheap to really use water proof neoprene, but since you confirm it I might use some when insulation my board, thanks for the tip;)

N

awesome to have ya back man! I never did get around to finishing the dacp. I had/have too much other stuff going on. but Im working on a 50mm pelt block, it should be really high performance:)

for gpu, I might be able to help ya a little:) while you were gone I got a mill and started making some creations:p

I would love to see massive amounts of pictures (only if my horrible dialup could handle it :eek: )
-edit- I guess theres this one bios for that mobo that allows really high fsb. I dont know much info on it as Im still running the 8k3a.

Jon

Last edited:
Back