• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Canterwood experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tw00sh

I got my Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 875P canterwood today and just installed it. :D Typing this post on it now.

Current rig is this:

P4 2.66 533 bus
GA-8IK1100
1 Gig Corsair 3200LL
9700 Pro
Audigy
IBM 40Gig 8MB drive

First impression when I was installing it was that it has A LOT of features. More than I would use.

The floppy connectors are really in a bad location. Close to the edge of the board where my Harddrive cage is. Was tough to get the floppy and IDE cables hooked up. If you go Serial, probably be a lot less hassle with this. I have no RAID running though, but I only planned to run this one hard drive right now.

After I got it all installed, it started with no problems at all. I even used the corsair from the start and everything booted just fine. I did have a minor problem with the IDE devices, but that was because I had two master on one channel. I got it fixed now.

The board came with everything. Motherboard CD has drivers for all the components and everything so far is installing with no problems. I am downloading the windows updates right now. :)

As far as overclocking goes:
Previously on my EPOX 4G4A I was able to get to a FSB of 150.
Lets just say, I installed windows at 160 or 3.2 gigs and have no errors at all. Motherboard reports temps at about 46 load. I can live with that.

RAM is running at auto or SPD I think. I am going to push it higher when I get more stuff installed.

Also, not sure if this is a normal gigabyte thing, but the RAM has to be in Channel 1 and 4 for dual channel DDR.

So far, I LOVE this board. Will report back more info after I get more installed. :D :D

Last edited:
Well, everything looks to be working great. I have not been able to get all of Motherboard Monitor figured out yet, just the CPU sensor so far.

I tried to pump it higher than 3.24 and it flashes back to boot screen. So, might be my max at the moment. The bios is telling me I am running at 160FSB and 400DDR memory right now though. That would mean my memory is running at 200MHZ, at the tighest timings. So, it is using a 5/4 divider. I might try to get the chip higher later by loosening some of the timings, but I am quite happy at 3.2 gigs. :D

(Running Corsair twin 3200LL at 200MHZ with the tight timings was suppose to be a problem with this chipset.)

I would diffinately recommend this board to anyone though. Seems to be rock solid so far. Probably will turn out to be a good overclocker. :D

Last edited:
I don't know if we're comparing the same types of measurements, but my memory is running at 360, my FSB at 180, and my timings at full speed...

??

No, it is running at DDR400 I think. I do not have a 800FSB chip, my 2.66 is only 533.

I have it at 160FSB for 3.2 gigs, but two lines down in the BIOS it says memory at 400MHZ. :D That would mean it is using a 5/4 divider.

I bumped it up to 162 and it went to 405 MHZ, so that would prove it is 5/4 divider. :D

I am REAL happy about this, as I was almost possitive I could not get DDR400 speeds with a 533 chip

I am not really into the benching thing, but I will try to get something up today. At least sandra maybe. :D

Tw00sh said:
I am not really into the benching thing, but I will try to get something up today. At least sandra maybe. :D

sandra may be nice, but do you think you can run some real world benchies....even 3dmark, pcmark would be realy great.

thanks for your effort.

mica

Back