• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Easy is 217MHz On NF7-S 2.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

How easy is it getting 434MHz FSB outa the NF7-S Rev 2.0 with two sticks of Corsair PC3200 LL memory? A friend of mine is building his rig and his motherboard is on the way.

OC-Master

Are they single sided or double sided sticks of ram? If theyre double sided and you wanna run at 217 in dual channel, its EXTREMELY hard. Single sided in dual channel is a challenge, but it may be possible with extreme vdd and some added vdimm. Make sure youve got coolers on both the north and south bridges. The NF7-S only has one on the north stock, and without one on the south at those speeds, good luck :)

Overall nothing is certain, so nobody can tell you whether itll run at that speed or not. If its single sided ram youve got a good chance with some patience. OCing always depends on luck.

wouldn't that depends on the cpu too?? Unless he use very low multi, altho i dont see what you get by using higher fsb with lower multi, compare to the other way around...more memory bandwidth?? Would that increase the overall performance by a significant margin?

Prandtl said:
wouldn't that depends on the cpu too?? Unless he use very low multi, altho i dont see what you get by using higher fsb with lower multi, compare to the other way around...more memory bandwidth?? Would that increase the overall performance by a significant margin?

memory bandwidth is a lot more important to overall performance then sheer clockspeed. everything responds faster when your running a high FSB and you get quite a few more FPS in games then just a multiplier overclock at the same speed.

i have the rev2 and Corsair TWINX PC3200LL 512MB, i'm running at 200Mhz right now (400DDR), i had to raise the voltage on the ram to 2.7volts though because the screen was full of garbled text at default voltage (2.6volts). i haven't tried any higher but i really think i can hit atleast 210Mhz :)

btw, my ram timings are at 6/2/2/2 right now.

i can get 217 7-3-3-2 in dual channel with a pair of crappy ocz pc-3500 basic series, and default chipset voltage

there is what you want it might be easier to do with faster ram but for these 2 stick it was 80 dollers plus i only run a fsb or 203 ususualyhere

Last edited:
Wow, i must have some luck, i'm currently at 10x410 and trying to work my way up, i wana see if i can hit 420 then we'll see if we can up the X'er...

Umm well... I didn't go with the good old Corsair this time, but I'm currently running my Twinmos/winbon PC3200 @ 2.9v For a FSB of 225*11 on my 2100 T-B 301... So I guess I'm satisfied, could be worse ;)

DpGravy

i run 3/3 4/4 5/5 6/6 it dont matter mine is 1/1 in sync if you click the here word on my last post it will show a speed in sanda of over 3300 MB per sec kinda high for ram thats only supposed to do 2700 MB

How can you tell when the ram needs more voltage??? Im currently stable at 200x12 but I could get to 220x10 I think, but it was pretty unstable...is that because of the ram voltage? - If it is then what is the maximum safe voltage for PC3500 ram?

well you could turn down you multiplier and see if it is stable or not eliminating your cpu if it is unstable raise it if it is still unstable try the chipset to

Rocko[DPC] said:
Are they single sided or double sided sticks of ram? If theyre double sided and you wanna run at 217 in dual channel, its EXTREMELY hard. Single sided in dual channel is a challenge, but it may be possible with extreme vdd and some added vdimm. Make sure youve got coolers on both the north and south bridges. The NF7-S only has one on the north stock, and without one on the south at those speeds, good luck :)

Overall nothing is certain, so nobody can tell you whether itll run at that speed or not. If its single sided ram youve got a good chance with some patience. OCing always depends on luck.

??what are you betting this on? your pc2700 ram?

i dont think he'll have a problem at all running that speed

(not to say it isnt luck, but i dont know how much he needs in this case)

Right now I can't get my XMS PC3200 to run at 6-2-2. I ran Memtest and it fails after 5 minutes. If I put it to 7-3-3, everything is fine, but I think it's this new stick of RAM I have. I'm about to test it by itself in Memtest at 418MHz at 6-2-2 CAS2. I already called in the RMA because it was acting flaky the first time I put it in, but that was also on my KD7, but this time I will know for sure.

I just tried to run both my sticks of RAM individually at 418MHz 6-2-2 CAS2 and they both failed. One a lot worse than the other. I'm talking I had over 1200 errors before it was done with the first pass (all selected tests). I put them both back to 7-3-3 CAS2 and everything is fine.

Back