• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Ok, so I switched over to Intel for a little while, and everything is running VERY nicely. However I can't get my FSB above 180. Which is still pretty nice, as it throws up the numbers in my sig, and I'm very happy with them.

I just need another system and I don't want to spend another 170 on just the chip... So I'm looking for an AMD to spice things up in games.

What do yall suggest in terms of the motherboard and chip? I'm not really sure how much money I want to spend, but it'll probably have to be around $130 or so for the mobo, and I'm willing to go for roughly the same on the chip...

I want something that has the ability to get over 200FSB. That's my main goal really. I'm gonna probably be putting in a 9800 Pro, so I'm not worried about anything else, but FSB here.

So let it rip guys!
Thanks!

Abit NF-7 S is one of the better Mobos and then a 1700+ (unless you cant find em apparently they are dropping production of them or somthing), 2100+, or maybe higher if you really want (those are best OCers...) just make sure its T-Bred B NOT A (A is a really bad OCer) or a Barton if you have the money...

what about the NF7 M?

And do TBred B's all have multi' change-ability support, regardless of the mobo they're in?

the M is ok but the S if FAR better for OCing and has more Onboard things... Tbreds are unlocked in almost all boards... Abits i think can do more iwth them... somthing about reading the 5bit range or somthing like that i forget.. but as long as the mobo supports it you can change most of the multis (i think its <12.5 and >12.5 depending on the multi it uses stock unless you do a littl emodding ot the chip but im not 100% sure, try doing a search... i think you would have to break or close on of the L3 bridges...)

it is reported that both the abit kt400 and the abit nforce2 can run through the full rangle of multipliers on all tbreds/bartons without modding... some have also reported that with some bios' the epox nforce2 board can run though all the multis, other boards cane only run 12.5 and lower or 13 and higher depending on the default multiplier. if i were buying right now i would look for one of the new abit nforce2 boards that have 200mhz fsb support guarenteed, and if you want a more sure thing with overclocking the aiuhb 2100s are the best, the 1700 jiuhb 1.5vcore chips have some really good results and some really bad results so i guess its something of a gamble. i love my 2100 though. running at 2150 with 1.65vcore and it did almost 2400 with 1.74vcore, all on air. so i guess im sayin get a abit nforce2 and a 2100, just my .02$. good luck overclocking

Hehe, thanks. Mhz don't really mean squat nowadays though. I'm playing the same games I did on my old machine, which was about half this speed, and they ran fine...

But that's computers for ya!

BTW, is there a part number or other way to tell if the chip for sale is a Tbred B and not an A? Newegg has the 2100+'s listed as ALL B's, but the 1700's are listed simply as "Thoroughbred" with no other info...

And so the Abit-NF7 is the best? Anything from Epox, Gigabyte or Asus? I'm a Gigabyte fanboy so anything from them is automatically considered gold by me, so if you;ve got a board in mind to mention, don't mention it unless it is THE BEST, cuz I'll probably buy it over any other board... hehe, just kidding... But seriously, is that THE board to get? Cuz I'd just want to know that I have some options in order to get over 200 Mhz FSB, hopefully to 210-220...

I also just cruised by the Abit mobo section and saw that practically the entire first page of threads were things like "Need help with NF7," "Abit NF7 Problems," and "Abit sucks!" So, I'm getting kinda iffy about getting that board, nonetheless, people are still saying that once they DO get them to work, they get the FSB rating I'm wanting so bad. So what's the deal here? :D

Last edited:
Back